Shrimp Hitchhikers

I've heard a lot about pest snail hitchhikers, but less about shrimp! Here's a baby amano hitchhiker I picked up today taking the snail-evator.72DF6B2E-879D-4793-B555-B43915D1A4A1.jpeg.969700b932c4567b74db38180af98059.jpeg

I fell in love with shrimp after I purchased panda corys and two ghost shrimp came along for the ride. Now, I've got a Singapore, some blue dreams, ghosts, and amanos.

I love the Singapore shrimp's little fan hands; it's like he's cheering me on or something (I can dream 😆). Though, he did give me a heart attack when I saw his entire, molted exoskeleton on the gravel; I was so worried until I realized it was hollow.

16765119-60E4-4B80-83DA-BD912A153551.jpeg.66bfbc7fe9ab415ff844e000c113f357.jpeg

I think the amanos are my favorite to watch. I love seeing them scope out a melee of feeding corys: watching for an opportunity to run down, snatch a crab cuisine pellet, and dart off to his hiding place to enjoy. Whenever they show up to a new tank, I imagine them going, "Ugh! Look at this mess! 😍" and cleaning away. They remind me of little cats, always cleaning themselves and brushing their faces with their little legs. Adorable! And they're such agile swimmers!6F70BE2A-113F-4934-BCF1-E7369B8282BB.jpeg.7974a1d9e875d02599f20db09e48e2bc.jpeg

I hardly ever see the neocaridina in my planted 20 L (there's a good amount of cover). Every few days I'll spot one of them and congratulate them on 1. managing to be alive and 2. their stealth capability. I'm hoping in my newer, more open 29 G they'll be easier to watch and enjoy. (Hopefully, while keeping enough plant cover for them to feel secure.)

Tl;Dr I just love shrimp. I think they're neat! 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

You have really nice shrimp crew! That is really cool about the Amano shrimp hitchhiking! I bought an Amano and RCS for the first time a few months ago and they ended up being my favorites. If I had to pick between them and fish the shrimp would win out. They always have something going on lol

• Like 1

Very lovely crew. From your description I can so visualize them chatting amongst themselves….”what would these poor things do without us.  They seem o be completely undomesticated” 🤣

When I first started with shrimp I intended them in only 1 tank…intended 🤣. They hitchhike on everything.  

• Love 1

On 6/20/2022 at 8:15 PM, Paul R said:

You have really nice shrimp crew! That is really cool about the Amano shrimp hitchhiking! I bought an Amano and RCS for the first time a few months ago and they ended up being my favorites. If I had to pick between them and fish the shrimp would win out. They always have something going on lol

Agreed. 😆 The other day, a friend told me, "I love how your aquariums feature shrimp and snails, and sometimes have fish"

On 6/21/2022 at 8:14 AM, Guppysnail said:

Very lovely crew. From your description I can so visualize them chatting amongst themselves….”what would these poor things do without us.  They seem o be completely undomesticated” 🤣

When I first started with shrimp I intended them in only 1 tank…intended 🤣. They hitchhike on everything.  

Yes! I really do think of them as the cats of aquariums, and that attitude would be very apt. 😆 Which is odd, considering how many catfish I have...but they remind me more of dogs. 

• Haha 1

On 6/20/2022 at 5:23 PM, DarthMollusk said:

I love the Singapore shrimp's little fan hands; it's like he's cheering me on or something (I can dream 😆). Though, he did give me a heart attack when I saw his entire, molted exoskeleton on the gravel; I was so worried until I realized it was hollow.

I love these guys so much.  I call the fans Jazz Hands.   🤣

• Haha 1