Guppies from Outdoor Watergarden

On 6/17/2022 at 7:35 PM, Anjum said:

Those are amazing! 

To clarify, does the natural sunlight directly improve their coloring, or is it the effect of sunlight on the entire system (greenwater etc) that improves the coloring?

Both, I believe. Vitamin D likely improves Calcium uptake. Certainly the live foods provide nutrients that exceed typical flake foods.

I will note, however, that “Mother Nature” does not always “nurture” the way an Aquarist does. The strong survive, but  the weak fall away under her care. I might be able to nurture twice as many fry indoors, but the Watergarden fish will be strong beasts, withstanding temps from mid 50s - mid 90s. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2022 at 4:46 PM, Fish Folk said:

Both, I believe. Vitamin D likely improves Calcium uptake. Certainly the live foods provide nutrients that exceed typical flake foods.

Great. I already move all my houseplants outside for the summer so they can get natural sunlight. Now I feel like I should move my fish too 🤣

I won't though... that's just, a lot. But I am working on culturing live foods for them!

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 7:56 PM, Anjum said:

Great. I already move all my houseplants outside for the summer so they can get natural sunlight. Now I feel like I should move my fish too 🤣

I won't though... that's just, a lot. But I am working on culturing live foods for them!

I found this book to be very helpful …

F9F92E7C-47BB-4A7B-9AF0-54A15FB0098C.jpeg.01ed8e891ad02c8e2d575b8a51d6cc54.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Thanks @Fish Folk! Just added it to my book list. I am starting to formulate a plan for an outdoor "pond" of sorts. We have some large IBC totes that I'd like to convert & use in my (yet to be erected) high tunnel as a heat sink & aquaculture adjunct to the plant production in the tunnel. 

• Like 1