Angel fish eggs

Reynaldo Rangel

Hi everyone! I haven’t been on here a long while but I just noticed today my angel fish spawned! The eggs look pretty good and I’m assuming it might be a day old. I just have a few questions on how to care for the eggs sense they are in a community tank. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

D88BE9F1-4BD9-4E71-83F2-8A4E1AA29FCD.jpeg

• Like 1

If you want to try to hatch them and preserve them, you can cut the leaf, and temporarily suspend it in a specimen container with tank water and an air stone. That can be hung inside the tank to match temperature. You'll need to add an anti fungal agent. We use over the counter 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. For a large, ca. 1/2 gallon specimen container, we use ca. 1 ml. or H2O2. Get the bubbler gently going, and squirt it in the water -- not right on the eggs. Do this once ever 12 hrs for 3x times total, then stop. Eggs will fall off / hatch into "wigglers" (some people say "wrigglers.") They will wiggle around on the container bottom until the fry become free swimming. You do not need to feed anything until they are free swimming.

Here is an entire thread documenting every step from beginning to end with loads of videos that my son did for BAP with our fish club...

• Like 1

On 6/16/2022 at 6:54 PM, Fish Folk said:

If you want to try to hatch them and preserve them, you can cut the leaf, and temporarily suspend it in a specimen container with tank water and an air stone. That can be hung inside the tank to match temperature. You'll need to add an anti fungal agent. We use over the counter 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. For a large, ca. 1/2 gallon specimen container, we use ca. 1 ml. or H2O2. Get the bubbler gently going, and squirt it in the water -- not right on the eggs. Do this once ever 12 hrs for 3x times total, then stop. Eggs will fall off / hatch into "wigglers" (some people say "wrigglers.") They will wiggle around on the container bottom until the fry become free swimming. You do not need to feed anything until they are free swimming.

Here is an entire thread documenting every step from beginning to end with loads of videos that my son did for BAP with our fish club...

Thank you so much for the help. I came up with my own little design lol it has water flowing from the tank into a breeder box then back out and I have the leaf weighed down so there not exposed to air. I’ll keep everyone updated the following days!

• Like 2

On 6/16/2022 at 7:36 PM, Reynaldo Rangel said:

Thank you so much for the help. I came up with my own little design lol it has water flowing from the tank into a breeder box then back out and I have the leaf weighed down so there not exposed to air. I’ll keep everyone updated the following days!

That’s a great idea, just watch how much flow is going once they become free swimmers. Any plans for what you may try and feed them?

On 6/17/2022 at 2:11 PM, ChargerstoLA said:

That’s a great idea, just watch how much flow is going once they become free swimmers. Any plans for what you may try and feed them?

Hi ChargertoLA, so right now I have a small valve controlling the flow and it’s pretty slow but I can see partials move if I move mulm. And I don’t have a idea on food yet, I’ve seen vinegar eels and baby brine shrimp for when there older but I haven’t had and experience with either yet lol.

Also @Fish Folk and @ChargerstoLA the eggs did hatch! Right now there off the leaf and sitting on the bottom of the breeder box and I made sure to remove any eggs that turned white.

Edited by Reynaldo Rangel
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 4:12 PM, Reynaldo Rangel said:

Hi ChargertoLA, so right now I have a small valve controlling the flow and it’s pretty slow but I can see partials move if I move mulm. And I don’t have a idea on food yet, I have some extreme flake food I could make smaller with my fingers but I know there could be better right?

Also @Fish Folk and @ChargerstoLA the eggs did hatch! Right now there off the leaf and sitting on the bottom of the breeder box and I made sure to remove any eggs that turned white.

You'll need something very fine. Sera Micron, New Life Spectrum GROW Fry Powder, Baby Brine Shrimp, maybe Vinegar eels -- that's mostly what I use for fry until they're large enough to eat crushed flake foods, etc.

Freshly hatched Baby Brine Shrimp are key. Here's a thread where I describe how I make a DIY hatchery and explain exactly how I hatch them. There's other methods, other foods etc. Just an idea here...

• Like 2

On 6/20/2022 at 1:42 PM, Fish Folk said:

You'll need something very fine. Sera Micron, New Life Spectrum GROW Fry Powder, Baby Brine Shrimp, maybe Vinegar eels -- that's mostly what I use for fry until they're large enough to eat crushed flake foods, etc.

Freshly hatched Baby Brine Shrimp are key. Here's a thread where I describe how I make a DIY hatchery and explain exactly how I hatch them. There's other methods, other foods etc. Just an idea here...

Thank you for the help, I’ll make sure to order some stuff now and I’ll check out the video

• Like 2