Attaching guppy grass to wood

I got gifted some guppy grass with a batch of RCS from another hobbyist and now I'm thinking it could make a nice leaf affect attached to my tree.

Has anyone done something similar and able to post some pictures for inspiration please 

• Like 1

I've never seen Najas attached to wood before. It does not seem conducive to that, but if it could be done, it would look interesting. Most aquarists prefer using rhizome plants, cutting away any string roots from the rhizome, and then supergluing that to wood. I've seen that done with Bruce and Java fern before. If you got some Najas long-stranded enough, you might be able to half-hitch knot it around small spider wood extensions. Otherwise, some very fine trout leader line (e.g. 1 lb. test monofilament) might work to tie it along wood. probably easiest to do outside of the water, constantly misting the hardscape and plant.

I have attempted to anchor guppy grass, but the stems are so fragile that it always seems to break off and float away. (Might depend on your stocking; my mollies really like to tug at plants to snack on algae.)

I've noticed that my guppy grass tends to wrap around the stems of the water lilies in my tank. If you have something to wrap it around, it might loosely stay put.IMG_20220405_213723__01.jpg.3df59b93a6ad276ce2ef0a24df6b2546.jpg

Edited by drewzero1
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2022 at 1:10 PM, Mr Gumby said:

I got gifted some guppy grass with a batch of RCS from another hobbyist and now I'm thinking it could make a nice leaf affect attached to my tree.

Has anyone done something similar and able to post some pictures for inspiration please 

It will die if you glue it😅 However, if you take the time to carefully wrap it around small branches, doing minimal damage while wrapping, and keep it out of strong flow, afetr a couple of months Guppy grass, pearl weed, and dwarf AR species will start to "grow" on the twigs. My pogostemon "octopus" is proving to do the job a little faster.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2022 at 11:10 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I’ve done it with cholla wood - wrapped around the wood it sends roots down to the soil through the holes and then grows out. 

Interesting, don't suppose you have pictures?

On 6/19/2022 at 11:34 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Here it’s growing on some wood think it’s manzanita and Malaysian driftwood. It’s part of a ball of plants including some moss.  CE536A12-EFA2-4513-9F8E-B52EB5B9F939.jpeg.984291611469258818e075e5d74293ff.jpeg

I found one where it’s growing out of an ACO sponge filter. E924A22F-514B-4687-A405-C4D8449946FF.jpeg.434305f0d2d914d7b2cd90837864095a.jpeg

In general, I find it does what it wants and occasionally will do my bidding. 

So basically it behaves like my children lol

• Haha 2

I don't currently have a picture of the guppy grass, but I do have Bacopa carolinia growing out of cholla

20220619_220802.jpg.06d81f09f7ca69840691f677ba9622a9.jpg

Just stick a stem in a cholla hole, and it will root and grow. The original stem is the far right (you can see it growing out of the cholla) and the stem inside the cholla has added branches (5 branches to the left of the stem on the right)

Pardon the algae, this tank stays happier the less I do to it.

• Like 1