What are these worms?? Can anyone help? Mystery snails lethargic and not eating :(

MicheleH

Hard to tell but looks like a detritus worm of some kind. Mystery snails often have hitchhikers in their shell. Imagine gettIng a free ride to all your favorite foods rather than risk exposing yourself swimming for it.

I don’t have much experience with mystery snails so I cannot help beyond the identification aspect.

• Like 1

Thank you. I'm terrified they may be horsehair worms. I've learned that horsehair worms can kill snails. I have lost 7 snails in 3 weeks and It's breaking my heart! I can't figure out what's going on! All parameters are normal, 55g tank, no copper, hardness, everything seems optimal. The Rasporas and Tetras are fine. 

@Guppysnail is my go to for snail questions. 

You are asking about this: https://extension.umn.edu/nuisance-insects/horsehair-worms

From what I have read, this is more common: https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/biochemistry-genetics-and-molecular-biology/metacercaria

Identification generally requires a microscope for accuracy.

I found this one for under $15, and since it attaches to the cell phone it's easy to take pictures and share in here for assistance

20220513_214602.jpg

• Thanks 1

I actually have no input on this. I’ve never seen worms in my snails nor have I seen those types of worms. My eyes are not great so that does not help.  Can you remove the snails to a small qt. When you see the worms stick tweezers near but not touching the snail and remove a worm to get better ID

Also have you used any algicides or medication in the tank?

Edited by Guppysnail

Thanks for your response. My QT tank is cycling so it isn't ready. I lost another snail today. It's breaking my heart as these guys are the babies of 2 mystery snails I rescued from a 1g bowl of utter neglect at work. I brought them home and researched like crazy to find out how to care for them properly. They mated, I kept a partial clutch and hatched out 17 beautiful babies who are now all dying in their 4th month. Their parents died last week at 1 year of age. Anyways, I live in Canada and fish meds are banned. I was able to order and am waiting for Fritz Paraclense and fritz ExpelP but I'm terrified to use it and hurt them even more. Can anyone tell me if Fritz ExpelP is safe for snails. My LFS recommended a Canadian product called Supratect. It's supposed to be snail safe with Garlic as the main ingredient however, there are no ingredients listed on the product or anywhere for that matter so I dunno. I am using it now though but after day 3 I don't see much change. I'm really at a loss here. I run a UV filter 24/7 and water change every 4 days. I guess they came in on the fish I added recently. I had a thought as the fish went in that I may be exposing my pristine snails to something dangerous and it seems like that's what happened. I feel terrible and wish that I had a QT setup and done things properly. These snails mean so much to me it's super distressing. 

Here is another shot of these things in the umbilicus of my snail. There are so many and some are really long! 

Thanks for your responses everyone. 

20220507_195147.jpg

Thanks for your response. My QT tank is cycling so it isn't ready. I lost another snail today. It's breaking my heart as these guys are the babies of 2 mystery snails I rescued from a 1g bowl of utter neglect at work. I brought them home and researched like crazy to find out how to care for them properly. They mated, I kept a partial clutch and hatched out 17 beautiful babies who are now all dying in their 4th month. Their parents died last week at 1 year of age. Anyways, I live in Canada and fish meds are banned. I was able to order and am waiting for Fritz Paraclense and fritz ExpelP but I'm terrified to use it and hurt them even more. Can anyone tell me if Fritz ExpelP is safe for snails. My LFS recommended a Canadian product called Supratect. It's supposed to be snail safe with Garlic as the main ingredient however, there are no ingredients listed on the product or anywhere for that matter so I dunno. I am using it now though but after day 3 I don't see much change. I'm really at a loss here. I run a UV filter 24/7 and water change every 4 days. I guess they came in on the fish I added recently. I had a thought as the fish went in that I may be exposing my pristine snails to something dangerous and it seems like that's what happened. I feel terrible and wish that I had a QT setup and done things properly. These snails mean so much to me it's super distressing. 

20220616_124242.jpg

On 6/16/2022 at 11:06 PM, MicheleH said:

20220616_124242.jpg

I have no idea, however, if you can reach out to Dr Sarah Dalesman at the University of Calgary, she might be able to help you and would know more about medications for snails that are available in Canada. I think she's got like 14 years of working in  Professor Lukowiak's laboratory.

Other options would be Mark Poesch, PhD, and Megan Edgar (if she's still there).

• Like 1

I am so sorry this is happening. As for medication. Anything that I know of will affect the worms will harm the snails. ACO has used paracleanse in the lower doses administered for QTtrio without issue but at the higher package lable it may harm snails. The body tissue make up of many worms and flukes is similar to snails. 
 @Torrey has definitely pointed you in the right direction. 

Thanks so much for your help folks. I really appreciate your help!  @Guppysnaildo you know what these lesions on the tentacles are? most everyone has a few of these as well. I cleaned the umbilicus on everyone yesterday with a soft toothbrush but the worms persist. I found someone else on the " Fishlore" forum who mentioned having the same issue. I am not thinking the worms are the cause of the die off. I am very new to the hobby so excuse my ignorance. I have researched snail shells but can't find an answer on whether the umbilicus has any opening to the snail's actual body. 

20220617_094318.jpg

The ulcers are also an area I am unable to help with. I have been fortunate that other than a really bizarre pen is swelling my snails rarely have issues. Whether the umbilicus is open is varied. If it can get under the shell it accesses soft unprotected tissue.