Barb Behavior.

Tanked

I've mentioned Red Tailed Tinfoil Barb behavior in other posts.  It comes as no surprise that the biggest observation is that fish behavior is completely different when when we are not around. 

I have recently been able to observe the TFBs at a distance more often at night and observed a lot of behavior that is new to me.  All of the fish are a couple of years old, and the smallest and presumably the youngest has begun to herd/harass the others.  They pair off, swim quickly side by side barely a fin apart for a distance, then brake off.  The two fish rejoin the group and eventually the performance will repeat.

Because they do almost everything as a group, and are of similar age and size,  I'm not sure if the same fish are involved each time.  I'm not sure if this new behavior, play, aggression or breeding behavior.  Thoughts?

On 6/7/2022 at 1:43 PM, Colu said:

Sound like there spawning it's nothing to worry about if it's a community tank I don't think you will get any fry 

That would be great.  It's a single species tank,  I tried moving the Silver Dollars in, last year, but the barbs didn't seem interested in sharing

On 6/9/2022 at 10:32 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

As in? 

They did not like the Silver Dollars in their tank.  I watched them pile drive the SDs down to the substrate, and some other aggressive behavior.  After an hour, I returned the SDs to the community tank.