S Repens Issue

On 6/6/2022 at 6:30 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

https://www.2hraquarist.com/blogs/fertilize-planted-tank/root-feeders-fertilization?_pos=1&_sid=b218f76d2&_ss=r

The problem I see most is new comers, more often than not, over use tabs. This common theme sends the tank into disarray.

Wow great article thank you! It also makes a lot of sense now as to why my crypts have been reaching since using  liquid iron (trying to absorb it from the water column l)? As opposed to laying flat when I was using Mexican potting clay as an iron source. 

On 6/4/2022 at 8:47 PM, Beng said:

You've mentioned that it's been a few months since you've put in root tabs. S. Repens are root feeders so a liquid fertilizer won't be enough.

Thank you I just put more in. I had no idea they were supposed to go in monthly. I’ll be better about that going forward. 

On 6/6/2022 at 3:30 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

https://www.2hraquarist.com/blogs/fertilize-planted-tank/root-feeders-fertilization?_pos=1&_sid=b218f76d2&_ss=r

The problem I see most is new comers, more often than not, over use tabs. This common theme sends the tank into disarray.

I wish I had seen this earlier I totally over did it on root tabs and now my nitrates are spiking. Not to dangerous levels it’ll just take some time to level out. Thanks for that article. Really helpful! 

On 6/3/2022 at 10:08 PM, yes_i_like_pie said:

@Mmiller2001 this is so cool!! How

do you even measure and track all this? Amazing!

no crushed coral. I was actually thinking of adding some since I noticed some holes in the shell of my mystery snail.

Mmiller will have much better information on the CO2 and ferts. Snails & neocaridina shrimp don't do as well in acidic water because it erodes their shells, albeit slowly. Reptical (calcium supplement I use for my turtle, and now inverts) can be added to Repashy. Also, try offering dark green veggies, lightly blanched (I literally pour boiling water over them, and then let them cool) and change the veggies out every day so they don't foul your water, and your snail will show you serious love. Carrots are another favorite, and act as a color booster.

Stones (like seiryu) will leach minerals into acidic water until homeostasis is found, typically around 7.2 pH to 8.4 pH (depending on the stone). Since I have liquid rock, I mix it with ZeroWater to keep my TDS where my livebearers and inverts are happy... which also means learning about which iron is bioavailable (calcium inhibits iron absorption in people and plants).

Seattle_Aquarist & Mmiller gave me this link which has been very helpful:

https://www.nutriag.com/mulderschart/  (I actually have Mulder's Chart as my screensaver now)

To understand more about RO, this article is helpful:

https://shrimpnation.co.za/understanding-rowater-shrimpminerals-and-tds/

Since I live in the desert, I can't use RO in good conscience. The ZeroWater doesn't have any waste effluent, and the company supports recycling by giving you a credit worth one filter cartridge for each 2 used filters you return to the company. Remember to test the water for TDS! ZeroWater is fabulous, and, as soon as the filter is "full" it loses whatever electromagnetic charge that helps it work so efficiently. We used 38 gallons, and TDS was at 4... at 41 gallons, TDS moved up to 6. 42 gallons TDS hit 30. Refilled one more time and tested, TDS jumped up to 463.😲

Anything bigger than the 20 cup model, they include a free TDS monitor that is pretty accurate!

• Love 1

On 6/6/2022 at 8:50 PM, Torrey said:

Stones (like seiryu) will leach minerals into acidic water until homeostasis is found, typically around 7.2 pH to 8.4 pH (depending on the stone). Since I have liquid rock, I mix it with ZeroWater to keep my TDS where my livebearers and inverts are happy... which also means learning about which iron is bioavailable (calcium inhibits iron absorption in people and plants).

I'm gonna end up digging out my giant piece of Seiryu aren't I.  LOL

My S. Repens seems to be slowly growing.  It's so on the edge and the new growth is so small.  I feel like I have some micro/nana petite version, but I know I don't.  I'll snag photos one day, but I ended up breaking a stem to plant it and it actually looks normal again instead of just a stalk with a few leaves on it.  Slowly but surely..... 

Very impatiently waiting to hit the button on CO2.

On 6/6/2022 at 10:26 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I'm gonna end up digging out my giant piece of Seiryu aren't I.  LOL

My S. Repens seems to be slowly growing.  It's so on the edge and the new growth is so small.  I feel like I have some micro/nana petite version, but I know I don't.  I'll snag photos one day, but I ended up breaking a stem to plant it and it actually looks normal again instead of just a stalk with a few leaves on it.  Slowly but surely..... 

Very impatiently waiting to hit the button on CO2.

I have always kept rocks and wood in my tank. I think if they exist in the natural habitat, and I prefer the activity of my fish more when I manage to semi-replicate the natural environment, then rocks and wood are going to happen. Of course, until *very recently* I kept fish, and used plants to keep my fish healthier and happier. Now, I actually have a few tanks with no fish, just plants and inverts.

I went looking for a link on rocks and stones in the aquarium to explain my point better. Since I didn't find it (must be in my obsolete phone😢) peer-reviewed pH mineral/ peer-reviewed pH rock.

Why peer-reviewed? Because otherwise it's a lot of inaccurate info to wad through first, lol

My periodic table has all the info mineral by mineral, but most rocks aren't pure specimens.... 

Majority of rocks will quit leaching anything around 7.2 pH. The super alkaline minerals aren't likely to just be laying around on the earth's surface for us to casually pick up and put in our tanks (lye burns, anyone? alkali strong enough to harm our fish isn't going to feel good).

This geology paper is helpful....

I, personally, don't like to chase parameters.  I invested in the ZeroWater to see if lowering TDS would eradicate the cyanobacteria (it didn't, but did contribute to the H2O2 being able to knock it out, and keeping the TDS under 300 appears to keep it from coming back) and improve my shrimp molts (requires SaltyShrimp to be mixed in, so won't be adding shrimp to any of my big tanks).

Rocks, stones, wood?

They raise my TDS in my tanks, they provide enrichment for my fauna (as well as food sources for flora and fauna), and help recreate a little piece of nature in my home.

If I ever get around to scaping my 4' for the ADA competition?

It will still have stone and wood, a 7.0 pH, and a carefully sculpted disorganized grouping of whatever plants are thriving in my water.

PS: My repens only died when I failed to identify a potassium insufficiency. Will post pictures of what's still surviving in the tanks, soon.

On 6/6/2022 at 9:46 PM, Torrey said:

I have always kept rocks and wood in my tank. I think if they exist in the natural habitat, and I prefer the activity of my fish more when I manage to semi-replicate the natural environment, then rocks and wood are going to happen. Of course, until *very recently* I kept fish, and used plants to keep my fish healthier and happier. Now, I actually have a few tanks with no fish, just plants and inverts.

The only way to explain is to show you.  LOL.  *goes to dig in tubs*

• Haha 1

On 6/7/2022 at 10:09 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

FYI, I gave up on S. Repens. I consider it a difficult plant. It's never liked the soup I served.

This is incomprehenable! 🤣

Edited by JoeQ
Darn auto correct!
  • Like 1