**HELP** Healthy angelfish laying down

Guppy Guy

Hi all, 

I have an angelfish that is about 4 years old(middle aged as far as I know) that has suddenly started laying around the tank and just sitting there instead of exploring like she usually does. She is the only one doing it, and all the other fish appear to be fine.

She is in a 36 gallon aquarium with 2 other angels(no aggression), 4 zebra danios, 5-ish guppies, and a whiptail catfish. The filter is a fluval 307, and the ph is about 7.5 since I just did a water change this morning. There is no salt. There are plants in the tank, but they aren’t growing at all for some reason.(probably no nutrients since algae won’t glow with my fluval aquasky on 100%)

I hope this isn’t a wasting disease, as the last time I had to deal with it, I couldn’t save the fish. I attached a picture of where she is now, and I apologize for its blurriness. My hand is shaky because I am so worried. Thanks in advance.

edit: do I need to feed her? She looks skinnier then usual, but she ate well yesterday and before that. I usually feed that tank about now, so please let me know.

image.jpg

Edited by Guppy Guy

If you have a breeder box that will fit for the fish, you can put her closer to the surface of the water and relieve some pressure.  Some angels/discus lay down when they have pressure issues. 

Standard questions thought, what are all of your water parameters as well as temp.

How is her gills looking, rapid breathing?

No rapid breathing, and she hasn’t lost any weight as far as I can see. No bloating either. I tried feeding her earlier, but she didn’t have the strength to get the food, even though she was trying. I was the saddest thing I’ve ever seen. 

Her gills are a little red, and my LFS thinks it is gill flukes/internal parasites.

I am moving her into a 10 gallon quarantine tank tonight, and will dose prazipro, as recommended by my LFS.

The main tank parameters are a temp of 78F, ph is 7.5, and all the other fish are fine.

On 5/31/2022 at 5:05 PM, Colu said:

If she has red Gill's it could also be ammonia burn have you tested your ammonia levels resently I would add an extra air stone while treating with any medication 

I need a new test kit, as my old one ran out, so I will order the AC test strips soon.

While I was at my LFS, I also picked up some metroplex. I don’t understand the directions though. Do I add it to the food or the water volume, and do I dose it by amount of food or water volume? Thanks.

edit: I viewed the thread that @Colu has as his signature  and saw this section on flukes. Do I use the recipe with the shot glass or the other one?

Edited by Guppy Guy

Bent body can be a sign of ammonia or nitrites poisoning  I would add some aquarium salt  1 table spoon for 3 gallons that will help with nitirte poisoning and will add essential electrolytes and add d Gill function if your using metroplex use the the scoop that come with the medication 

Screenshot_20210815-162016~2.png

I added the salt to the tank so hopefully that helps. I did notice that her gills appear a purplish-blue color. This means that there is a depletion of oxygen, right? If so, what can I do since there is already a sponge filter in the tank? 

Also, she is now making a gulping motion with her mouth. That is unfortunately a sign that the gills aren’t working, right? Please say I am wrong.

Edited by Guppy Guy

Just an update, I was able to get her to eat the medicated food, so the metroplex and focus is now inside her. She isn’t making that “gulping” motion as severely anymore, and she is kind of surfing along the bottom of the tank, still sideways, but finding food and eating it. She isn’t “inhaling” it as she usually does, but she is getting it in her mouth and “swallowing” it if you know what I mean. Also, she isn’t listing to the side as severely anymore after adding the salt, so thanks @Colu.

She isn’t fully ok yet, but if she keeps improving at the same rate, she will be fine. 

She died. Thanks everyone for helping out. I am starting a new thread investigating what happened, as this is easily the 4th time it has happened. I will link it below leter. Thanks again

https://forum.aquariumcoop.com/topic/24089-input-wanted-investigating-sudden-deaths-in-aquarium-fish/#comment-217295

Edited by Guppy Guy
Added link to investigation thread
  • Sad 2