Ikea Furniture (AKA Can I put a tank on this?)

Martin

Good morning all,

I am trying to free up my 10g tank to become a quarantine tank.  It is currently my RCS tank and the population is already about 50 shrimp so I was thinking to upgrade the tank to a 20g long.  My 10g currently sits on my Ikea Hemnes 8-drawer dresser (below) along with a small 3g tank I use to isolate fry.  The dresser below is made of solid wood pieces (i.e. not particle board) and the center of the dresser actually has a middle leg that you cannot see in the photo.  I would estimate the current weight on the top of the dresser is roughly 120 pounds after all the knick-knacks have been added in.  Do any of you have any experience with these types of situations?  The dresser is pretty darn sturdy and the width of the tank would distribute the weight pretty well across all five legs.  If I were to do this, I would definitely remove all else on the top to reduce load.  Thanks for your big brains!

Martin

20220526_092607.jpg

On 5/26/2022 at 11:09 AM, Patrick_G said:

Yes, those are sturdy dressers and like you said the weight of the 20 long would be spread out over 30” and the center leg adds extra support. This is much sturdier than some of the stands you’ll see at Petco. 

You are simultaneously my favorite and my wife's least favorite person today.

• Haha 5

On 5/26/2022 at 9:16 AM, Martin said:

You are simultaneously my favorite and my wife's least favorite person today.

Don’t worry, you’re about to get advice from at least six other forum members that will say don’t do it. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just make sure that the bracing is right and you're good to go. I've had some Ikea stuff in the past bow, but that was because I didn't check the bracing. If it has supports in the right place you're fine, if it doesn't and there's space you can add them 😉

Otherwise, if you want to make her happy, take her shopping for a hardwood dresser and it's a win win for you both!

• Thanks 1

if solid wood with good bracing, it will likely be fine. the cheaper particle board furniture will sag over time, and not make you happy, but with solid wood much better chances of long term success.

Edited by lefty o
dyslexic typing

I built that same dresser and I would say yes, it's plenty sturdy for your tank. The top piece is solid wood and it looks like you also have glass on it which will help disperse the weight, and the center post does go all the way from the top to the floor so no problem!

• Thanks 1