Maracyn affecting B.B.

Logan Smith

Hi,

I was about to use maracyn to treat fish with skin and fin issues and read that it will kill all my B.B. and restart my entire tank (spiking ammonia, etc.). I do not have a quarantine tank so I do not know what to do. Is this true, and if so are there any suggestions?

It can deal a small blow to BB in newer, non-mature tanks. If your tank has been established for awhile, I wouldn't worry about it. Additionally, If the fish really needs the med, then I think it's okay to let that need guide you, and just monitor/water change/detoxify(Prime) any small bump in ammonia/nitrite from the Maracyn.

So in summary, the answer is yes, it can (though may not) have an effect, but that can be managed as well.

On 5/25/2022 at 8:39 AM, Logan Smith said:

Hi,

I was about to use maracyn to treat fish with skin and fin issues and read that it will kill all my B.B. and restart my entire tank (spiking ammonia, etc.). I do not have a quarantine tank so I do not know what to do. Is this true, and if so are there any suggestions?

My suggestion is to do large water changes, clean up, (not the filter though) and mix some antibiotics in their food if they need it. 

Then revisit what you use for filtering, biofiltering is the most important thing to keep bad bacteria at bay to keep the fish from getting sick in the fist place.

Search youtube for Cory's video on "optimizing HOB filters, aquarium coop" This works with any filter, use course foam in them and nothing else. 

Edited by Wrencher_Scott