Turmeric and Paprika as fry food?

Mr Gumby

I just listened back to one of @Randy interviews with Rosario Lacorte where he talks about paprika as a colour enhancer. I've also read an article about the health benefits of turmeric for fish.

Has anyone tried either as a fry/shrimp food?

I have mixed up first bites, repashy and spirulina for shrimp and just let it dust the tank. I'm wondering about the benefits of adding paprika and turmeric to the mix

On 5/23/2022 at 4:11 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I second @Flumpweesel. I LOOOOVVVVEEEE Turmeric- fresh, supplement forms, drinks and spice powders- ALL of it stains. It's worth the staining risk for ME - great for us humans- has a lot of purported benefits. Dunno about fish but if they like garlic....

Here's the article I found

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8191517/#:~:text=The survival of the fish,of the infected fish decreased.

Obviously that was studying resistance to a specific disease but I think it's a fairly safe assumption that it would improve immunity to a range of nastiness as it does in humans. Also in this instance they saw increased growth rates which is why I thought about fry food. Maybe using a tote as a grow out is an option??

• Love 1

Adding it to a food like Repashy could contain it. Even pellets I guess when it's binded. I wouldn't think that it could leave and stain then- but....then again I've never tried something like that and wouldn't be surprised if it could escape. It wouldn't just stain silicone either- ANY gravel or porous material would be yellow. It would be interesting to experiment with. 

• Like 1

Adding it fresh (or quality sourced dried powder) would be beneficial, but the process of adding it in foods in a useable quantity will be the challenge. Finding a known recipe (by weight or volume) would be the best place to start. If you look at a lot of high end foods or hobbyist breeder bulk foods, you would be surprised what is in the ingredients and what those do in terms of benefits for health of fish and inverts. 

I think I've got some pellets that actually contain Paprika in them, but I'll have to check. 

• Like 1