Deciding Between Ramshorn, and Malaysian Trumpet Snails

TimmG

I have a 10 gallon tank with a white gravel substrate. I am wanting to get some snails to help with the clean up around the tank. What would you suggest? I like the color differences in the Ramshorn, but I like the shape of the Malaysian Trumpets too. I know MTS dig, and RH dont. What has been your experience with them? I have 6-7 Neocaridinas, and 7 Mollies in the tank.

Malaysian Trumpet Snail.jpg

ramshorn-snail.jpg

• Like 2

I have both in my 5 gallon and they serve very different purposes from what I've seen! The MTS spend 90% of their time in the substrate or on lower decorations, while the Ramshorn go up on the plants, floating plants, and glass, more then along the substrate. 

• Like 2

On 5/22/2022 at 7:04 PM, Scapexghost said:

Choose wisely, since whichever one you pick youll never be able to get rid of. But like @castiel said, just get both if you cant decide. Both are beneficial.

Thank you for your input. I think ill do just that. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 7:04 PM, Scapexghost said:

Choose wisely, since whichever one you pick youll never be able to get rid of. But like @castiel said, just get both if you cant decide. Both are beneficial.

This is the best way of saying it. Also keep in mind, once you add it to one tank, there is a strong chance they will migrate to other tanks through plant clippings in the future. Ramshorn eggs will either be hidden in the leaves or baby Malaysians (since those are live birth snails.) You'll need to be sure to run dips to make sure plants are clear of snails if you plan on playing musical plants. 

On 5/22/2022 at 6:51 PM, castiel said:

I have both in my 5 gallon and they serve very different purposes from what I've seen! The MTS spend 90% of their time in the substrate or on lower decorations, while the Ramshorn go up on the plants, floating plants, and glass, more then along the substrate. 

This is a great description of their behavior. In my experience, my MTS are much more prolific than my ramshorns, and there are a lot of little babies lol

• Like 1

The thing I don't particularly like about my MTS is that they are SHARP.  They tend to get into my sponge filters/intakes and then I have to be really careful squeezing and cleaning them out so I don't stab myself.  I didn't introduce them on purpose, and I know they can be beneficial in sand substrate, which I have in my big tank, but I wouldn't have them if I had a choice.  But I don't so I live with it.

On 5/24/2022 at 12:51 PM, KaitieG said:

I wouldn't have them if I had a choice.  But I don't so I live with it.

You can bait them with sinking foods in a dish. Once you place a dish and place some sinking foods on it they will swarm and you can remove them. Using a dish with a lip will help remove them without them sliding off.