Valisnarea

Hi all 

I wonder if I could get some advice on valisnarea. In the past week I have planted my 30 gallon aquarium with Val (jungle Val).

I'm wanting it to propogate and grow well as soon as possible (not an impatient fish keeper or anything 😂).

Have added 'tetra initial sticks' root tabs to my course black sand substrate, and I have a nice group of a mix of golden and standard white cloud mountain minnows, as well as a few endler/guppy fry. 

I've also trimmed the leaves of the Val, especially the leaves that looked a bit worse for wear on the ends, in the hope that this will help the plant want to send out runners.

I've also added a nicrew planted tank light that is illuminating the aquarium beautifully. 

Do I just need to be patient now to let the Val settle to my water perameters and start to grow/send out runners and make new plants, or is there anything else I can do to help the Val have a good head start?

Thanks!

Aaron inbound135288528591583346.jpg.d3e100d8f48e69adf98102e3763c3682.jpg

I have jungle val in two nano tanks and it really took off in the one with higher light and heavier bio load. It took some time to get going (no root tabs, but planted in sand in one tank, aquasoil in the other), but once it did, wow!

I only cut one leaf and decided not to anymore - it was parking until I cut it. The rest is over 2' long now and wrapping around a 5gal tall tank! I planted in February, this is the tank today. It gets easy green every week.

20220518_173949.jpg.ac81b21f5066e028a9f9294ceb372272.jpg

• Like 3

Vallisneria can be a bit fickle.  Sometimes it takes off immediately and sometimes it seems to need to settle in, develop roots, then it will finally take off, often with a vengeance.  For some, it never takes off and it isn’t always clear as to why or why not.  It does seem to like root feeding, so your root tabs should be included, for sure.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have read they may not like acidic water (I have fairly acidic water). Mine constantly melted until There was nothing left despite plenty of root tabs and it sending out runners. It did have to compete for light with amazon swords... I have noticed other plants in my tank seem to be growing more (java fern) after I added wonder shell.

How are yours doing?

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 10:00 PM, Dancing Matt said:

I have read they may not like acidic water (I have fairly acidic water). Mine constantly melted until There was nothing left despite plenty of root tabs and it sending out runners. It did have to compete for light with amazon swords... I have noticed other plants in my tank seem to be growing more (java fern) after I added wonder shell.

How are yours doing?

AHH I see, I've heard they like harder water. 

My water is around neutral but I've got some ocean rock in there to help buffer it up a tad.

The Val does seem to be growing now and sending out quite a few runners so fingers crossed it's now settled in 

• Like 1