What's killing my epiphytes

I actually noticed the deterioration on sister plants in a different tank. I've gotten the Java ferns from the same mother plant and they were wedged into a crack on a piece of driftwood. The deterioration took out the Java fronts and a couple of buce. Then I noticed it in this tank just a few days ago.

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2022 at 8:00 PM, Corbidorbidoodle said:

I never figured out what exactly was going on, but I think it's just some sort of very delayed adjustment melt. 

They all melted all over the tank, but now they're all growing nice new leaves. So all's well that ends well.

That's basically what happened when I tried to keep them.  Anubias, very few issues, but java ferns I had success once and then never was able to grow them again.  The roots are pretty fragile and is likely why (trying to glue them was difficult for me).  Essentially I think what you have going on is the plant is just absorbing nutrients from the old leaves to grow new ones.  If you see it continue on newer leaves, I'd check nutrients and what not and consider upping dosages on fertilizers or modifying the lighting.  They could be getting burnt out or not enough.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 11:47 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

That's basically what happened when I tried to keep them.  Anubias, very few issues, but java ferns I had success once and then never was able to grow them again.  The roots are pretty fragile and is likely why (trying to glue them was difficult for me).  Essentially I think what you have going on is the plant is just absorbing nutrients from the old leaves to grow new ones.  If you see it continue on newer leaves, I'd check nutrients and what not and consider upping dosages on fertilizers or modifying the lighting.  They could be getting burnt out or not enough.

This is exactly me. When I first started my tanks with nothing my java fern, windelov and anubias they were all thriving. As my tank progressed with more plants and fish the two types of java fern just started deteriorating and never bounced back whereas my anubias kept growing new leaves at a relatively steady pace. 

• Like 1