My 75 gallon creation!

On 7/5/2022 at 10:44 AM, Ken Burke said:

So does you tv, stereo, garage door openers, and a whole host of other products that we never give a second though

That makes sense, that'd mean it had to be a negligible amount being drawn then.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 8:38 PM, dan12boy said:

Wait wifi plugs draw power?? Is it negligible or a somewhat significant amount? I have a wifi plug and for my 75g tank light I'm just using a timer that I had first gotten when I started my tanks.

It's not a lot of draw but they are always using like .3 watts an hour in standby mode. At least that's what what my Kill-a-Watt meter shows for my kasa plugs. Different plugs can use different tech. Kasa is one of the better ones I've used.

On 7/5/2022 at 7:44 AM, Ken Burke said:

So does you tv, stereo, garage door openers, and a whole host of other products that we never give a second though

I never thought to put a meter on my garage door opener... Good idea!

Anyway, I take the cost of the plug and compare it to how much power it being used to decide if I want to outfit a wifi plug. I tried to put one on my husband's Xbox... He was not amused.

Edited by Minanora
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 5:14 PM, Ken Burke said:

When I was stationed in Germany people had to unplug their tv, etc to a fort the electric bill. Of course they were using transformers to convert to European power

That's so interesting. Back when I lived in Nigeria we also used transformers but never understood the necessity of them.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 7:45 PM, Ken Burke said:

I never lived in Nigeria, but most of the world uses 220v 50Hz power.  If you were using US electronics, that is most likely the reason

We didn't have power nearly as often as here in the US so I'm not sure what we used. 

• Like 1