Java fern rhizome.

16522898958867315033429846658689.jpg.8c27258216fbd80f96f01fb7812c4255.jpg I'm on attempt number 2 of growing java fern. Generally, all the leaves turn black and fall off. All that's left is a rhizome. It's been about 2 months and I have a small leaf growing on one rhizome. None of the rhizomes are mushy. They're growing as well.

I realize that java fern is slow growing but this seems really slow. The mystery buce is growing faster. It's almost time for me to mix a new batch of liquid ferts. I know java ferns are potassium hogs. Would adding extra potassium help with growth? 

Has anyone experienced java ferns growing this slowly?

I have stupidly hard water. The list of plants that grows well in my tank are short. Maybe java ferns won't work out in the long run but I'm not ready to give up.

• Like 2

I've found that my key to growing Java Fern begins with buying a starter that is HUGE and very leafy / healthy. From there, I put mine in a super over-stocked tank with loads of nitrate build up. They tend to put off shoots from their leaf tips if "distressed" in such an environment. Let me see if I can find some photos...

424907538_ScreenShot2022-05-12at12_45_47AM.png.f73efba0879d0ee5b0f2cc0d77d45118.png

1268241057_ScreenShot2022-05-12at12_46_05AM.png.23e615e9b42d46d567367384a303d0e8.png

93365453_ScreenShot2022-05-12at12_46_23AM.png.84ded4754c0c022fc659a74849ec39ce.png

I also have very hard water. I have had poor luck with "regular" Java fern, but good luck with the wendelov variety. I got my first one in my 20g long from ACO in April 2021,and in that time it has produced a lifetime supply of babies. About four months ago I ordered some needle- leaf Java fern and it looks about the same as when I got it, so far. It has stayed green and upright, but has not started making tons of babies. Unlike the Wendelov variety, it is in an understocked tank, so I expect it to take longer.

It did form a few baby java ferns before losing the rest of its leaves. i have no idea where they ended up. My nitrates are usually never higher than 20 ppm. The duckweed and watersprite suck a lot of them up. I'm going to track them for the next week or two. Maybe try adding a bit more nitrogen into my NPK mix.

On 5/11/2022 at 11:47 PM, Fish Folk said:

I've found that my key to growing Java Fern begins with buying a starter that is HUGE and very leafy / healthy. From there, I put mine in a super over-stocked tank with loads of nitrate build up. They tend to put off shoots from their leaf tips if "distressed" in such an environment. Let me see if I can find some photos.

On 5/12/2022 at 9:11 PM, PineSong said:

I also have very hard water. I have had poor luck with "regular" Java fern, but good luck with the wendelov variety. I got my first one in my 20g long from ACO in April 2021,and in that time it has produced a lifetime supply of babies. About four months ago I ordered some needle- leaf Java fern and it looks about the same as when I got it, so far. It has stayed green and upright, but has not started making tons of babies. Unlike the Wendelov variety, it is in an understocked tank, so I expect it to take longer.

I tried java fern wendelov first. It made tons of babies before melting. This one is regular java fern. The rhizome has doubled in size since losing its leaves.