BBA on gravel

I have some BBA on my gravel that’s been there for a while from using a light fixture that was too high density for my tank.  The BBA is more or less controlled and wanted to use the Easy Carbon to spot treat it but I have Valisneria and have read that it would effect it.  Does anyone have experience spot treating Easy Carbon with Val??  Would the BBA eventually go away??  I have a Hillstream Loach and some Platies who all seam to be nibbling on the BBA but it’s not going away.

731B711E-7998-4A4A-9F54-F16D27964A0E.jpeg

Hi @TMartins

Yes, Easy Carbon (or any glutaraldehyde based carbon supplement) will definitely effect Vals and in my experience hornwort as well.  Instead go you your local drug store and get some Hydrogen Perioxide (H2O2 3% solution) for about $2 and a 10 ml oral syringe also about $2.  Turn your light on high for 20 minutes to get the BBA at full photosynthesis.  Turn off your filters and airstones for about 5 minutes until the water becomes calm.  Fill your syringe with hydrogen peroxide and 'paint' the areas with the worst infestation.  DO NOT EXCEED 1.5 ml PER GALLON / 15 ml PER 10 GALLONS PER 24 HOURS.  I have treated tanks with Rams and Cardinal Tetras with this dosing level with no ill effects.

Shortly after dosing you will see bubbles coming from the BBA and the gravel area.....these are bubbles of oxygen (O2).  Keep the filter off for about 20 minutes until the bubbles slow down and then re-start the filters and adjust your light back to normal.  The next day the BBA in the areas you treated will look red or grey....that BBA is dead.  It is much easier for your platies to eat the BBA when it is dead.  Repeat the next day until you have the BBA back under control.  Hope this helps!  -Roy
656856728_2015-01-2420GallonGermanBlueRams001AdjSnSm.JPG.79e1a5aeb6a88bdfb9dabcff215bbc40.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/2/2022 at 4:37 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Shortly after dosing you will see bubbles coming from the BBA and the gravel area.....these are bubbles of oxygen (O2).  Keep the filter off for about 20 minutes until the bubbles slow down and then re-start the filters and adjust your light back to normal.  The next day the BBA in the areas you treated will look red or grey....that BBA is dead.  It is much easier for your platies to eat the BBA when it is dead.  Repeat the next day until you have the BBA back under control.  Hope this helps!  -Roy

Would there be the method to do this for hardscape by removing it and treating it? Is there a best way to do this if I fill a tub with peroxide trying to treat small nano size rocks and other small items in a shallow tub external to the tank?  My thinking that by removing it I can exceed the 1.5 ml PER GALLON / 15 ml PER 10 GALLONS PER 24 HOURS and just rely on completely cleaning the rocks with a sponge or something as long as the algae starts to die off.

I've never had success with in-tank peroxide, but going through your method above, I think the main issue I have had was not letting it sit long enough and turning off the flow entirely or not having strong enough solution from the store.

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 5/2/2022 at 5:21 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Would there be the method to do this for hardscape by removing it and treating it? Is there a best way to do this if I fill a tub with peroxide trying to treat small nano size rocks and other small items in a shallow tub external to the tank?  My thinking that by removing it I can exceed the 1.5 ml PER GALLON / 15 ml PER 10 GALLONS PER 24 HOURS and just rely on completely cleaning the rocks with a sponge or something as long as the algae starts to die off.

I've never had success with in-tank peroxide, but going through your method above, I think the main issue I have had was not letting it sit long enough and turning off the flow entirely or not having strong enough solution from the store.

Hi @nabokovfan87

If I have BBA on hardscape without plants I remove the hardscape, take it to the kitchen sink, and scrub it with a scrub-brush.  If the hardscape has plants attached I do the same method I described above.  The two keys to the method is using bright light to get the BBA into full photosynthesis and turning off the flow so the H2O2 stays in contact with the BBA as long as possible, and waiting 20 minutes or so to give the H2O2 enough time to oxidize the BBA (H2O2 is a strong oxidizer).  Almost all hydrogen peroxide in stores is 3% concentration.  -Roy

• Like 2