Is this fungus? 🤔

Karen B.

There is one tiny little white ish discolored spot on the back of my white cloud mountain minnow and I would like to make sure it is not a fongus or any other type of disease?

A5CA4E2A-25BB-49D5-8475-D4461DF033CB.png.8427f8c1804aa1e3bfbe6940ed29403b.png5C92AC77-C028-4897-A428-9A197B2987C6.png.03a186378ae33c3a0d820f6522805b3b.pngE418299F-5F8D-40E1-9968-5703917A8322.png.3d735f1f2b1d9c5a2ee0769f75e92180.png

it doesn’t seem to be raised or hairy. The quality of the pictures is not amazing but these fish aren’t the easiest to photograph 😖

20 gallons with 13 WCMM and 3 cpo (dwarf crayfish)

68 F

pH 7.6

0/0/10

gH 10

kH 4

Aqueon quietflow 20

Have an air stone.

How long has this tank been set up with the current stocking? Did you quarantine your fish before they were introduced? 

I've had a similar issue with my platys recently which I fixed by using salt & change of substrate and parasite medication. Corys recommendation was 1 tablespoon per 3 gallons for my situation. Make sure salt is safe with your current stocking.

1 minute ago, Wesley said:

How long has this tank been set up with the current stocking? Did you quarantine your fish before they were introduced? 

I've had a similar issue with my platys recently which I fixed by using salt & change of substrate and parasite medication. Corys recommendation was 1 tablespoon per 3 gallons for my situation. Make sure salt is safe with your current stocking.

So you do think it would be fongus?

My tank has been running with the current setup/stocking for a month. 

I can’t use salt as I have crayfish.

And in Canada we do not have any type of medication. So if you are positive it is fongus I would have to move him alone in a hospital tank.

While I'm not 100% sure, I don't think this is fungus. This seems more of a parasitic cause which would've come from the fish store or any plants you may have brought in. 

I'm pretty sure there are fish medications in Canada. 

Edited by Wesley

Thanks for the article. I wasn't aware of that situation. That is very unfortunate.

Perhaps instead of moving the single wcmm, move the crayfish to a seperate tank and treat the whole tank with aquarium salt. Keep it mind that doing 50% water change is only going to get 50% of the salt out so it might take a while to dilute salt levels down far enough to reintroduce the crayfish.

I personally cannot aquire Levamisole where I live, though perhaps Greg from Selectaquatics is able to ship you some to Canada. This helps with internal worms & parasites, which if a salt treatment won't help is probably your best next bet:  selectaquatics@gmail.com

WWW.SELECTAQUATICS.COM

Levamisole medication

2 hours ago, Cory said:

Just look like missing scales from these pics so far.

@CoryIs it worth quarantining the fish to treat with salt or just leave it as is and it will heal by itself? (In Canada. No meds. And with crayfish so no salt in the tank)

thank you for answering so much.