Bioload of Mystery snails?

ReeseADHD

I keep reading on the internet that mystery snails have a big bio load but how big are we talking? Is it a big bio load like a goldfish? Or is it just a big bio load for a snail? I really like snails and I'm looking to add more but I don't want to over stock. I already have 5 mystery snails and two nerite snails in my 44g. 

I have a couple and honestly they're negligible in terms of tipping the balance when we're looking at what is "too much."

What they do help me a great deal with is existing as a source of ammonia in tanks. If my tank is otherwise uninhabited (or in very low bioload tanks like those with shrimp) they're amazing as a preventative of cycle crashes. They make sure there's always something for the bacteria to eat lol.

• Like 1

I've heard of their bioload in comparison to gallons. One Mystery snail should have at least 5 Gallons, and two should have at least 10 gallons.

I have two in my 46G which has a pretty high overall bio load but also high filtration. They are constantly eating so they are constantly pooping. I really don't notice it that much in that tank because of the filtration in there, but it does seem to be akin to goldfish in terms of how much they poop!

• Like 2

Their bioload largely depends on how much food they're provided. Snails tend to be a bit gluttonous and if you feed them heavily their bioload will increase. When aquaculture folk talk bioload they typically talk about the weight of the fish/creatures the system is to support and the amount of food they're given. "This system will support 150 pounds of fish eating 12 pounds of 35% protein food a day." (There are lots of other variables also in temperature, density and other things.) A big mystery snail will weigh a fair amount compared to something like a guppy or swordtail so it will have a bigger bioload. A well-fed snail will have a bigger bioload than one that's just barely getting enough food to survive.

I wouldn't worry about overstocking the tank too much. A 44-gallon tank is pretty good in terms of water volume. Sudden increases in bioload (adding fifty adult snails in one day) would be an issue, but if the tank is working fine now, there's nothing to worry about. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/28/2022 at 9:02 AM, gardenman said:

When aquaculture folk talk bioload they typically talk about the weight of the fish/creatures the system is to support and the amount of food they're given.

I was always curious how they measured bioload. Thank you for the breakdown!