My journey to becoming a better breeder

Juancho

Just a couple pics. My browns have been showing some breeding signs. Hoping it happens in the next few days.  Also saw my male super red fanning by his cave. I put a different female in going to change the genetics up a smidge. Trying to get the most red plecos as possible. 

6EADDD4C-73E7-43DE-BFDB-41CD8C7A2596.jpeg

7EB4BC76-F9C4-4034-BE16-38CD94606EA7.jpeg

7F4EA707-3FF0-4536-8680-C2BF081020EF.jpeg

99E33625-250B-4590-B787-2333604A0FB7.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Lots more fry in the grow out and still growing. I have a female that looks like she ready to lay eggs nothing happing. Been doing water changes but no go. Super Reds and albinos in the grow out. The albinos had a clutch and the dad had to of eaten them.  Smh 🤦🏽 

298D9BC3-065A-40D4-998D-42597C31582C.jpeg

62D48D91-3E93-4AE7-B52A-8CDF39376BD6.jpeg

59DC1396-6B3D-4BB7-BF9B-CDF9790A19C4.jpeg

• Like 2

Well I have some spawns going so excited. Had a few storms pass through and my super reds and albinos and albino and brown all spawned. Then I found about 10-12 fry sitting at the top of a tank I thought they were maybe eaten a while back. Lol it a a great day.  Patients is something all the breeds say you must have. I’m patiently learning 😜

8CC8C04D-4C1B-4585-AC10-E06B797D446E.jpeg

FAFD5F68-C797-4942-BF4F-D22BBF6E6983.jpeg

51F851A1-8F04-4C76-9453-1F4C237D0076.jpeg

8A51B843-AD16-48A5-8F6A-DAD9E1417AB4.jpeg

9872446F-577D-43A1-BBF1-DDD4AD1FBC6F.jpeg

• Like 1

I love this! Gonna follow your journey, with my 75 gallon I plan on getting a starlight pleco and if it lives happily I’ll definitely try breeding because I think they’re absolutely stunning. Have only bred guppies so far, my next list of breeding fish once my tank is free are gonna be honey gouramis, Pygmy cories and kuhli loaches. I want to try otocinclus but barely anyone has luck with those, don’t wanna waste my time so I’ll wait till way later. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 9:23 AM, dan12boy said:

I love this! Gonna follow your journey, with my 75 gallon I plan on getting a starlight pleco and if it lives happily I’ll definitely try breeding because I think they’re absolutely stunning. Have only bred guppies so far, my next list of breeding fish once my tank is free are gonna be honey gouramis, Pygmy cories and kuhli loaches. I want to try otocinclus but barely anyone has luck with those, don’t wanna waste my time so I’ll wait till way later. 

That’s great. I think that pleco is awesome as well. Nice list of fish. I hope to increase my selection of species as well. All in time I guess. I’m building a rack for 20 gal grow outs. We will see what I can do there. Like to do auto water change on that rack. I would like constant fresh water to help grow out a title faster. 

On 5/16/2022 at 3:35 PM, Juancho said:

That’s great. I think that pleco is awesome as well. Nice list of fish. I hope to increase my selection of species as well. All in time I guess. I’m building a rack for 20 gal grow outs. We will see what I can do there. Like to do auto water change on that rack. I would like constant fresh water to help grow out a title faster. 

Do you have any tips on helping fry grow fast? My guppy fry never grew fast at all, took them months to be juvenile size and to start showing some color. 

The best advice I can give is water changes and lots of Feeding. I think this goes for most fish in general.  It’s tough and I don’t think people stay committed to that because its a lot of work. I mean if you listen a lot of these master breeders there talking 10% water changes every day!!! I do a 30% every other day and seems to do good. That’s why I said on the new rack I’m using a auto water change To help with growth. And feeding 3-4 times a day or more in small intervals. Like I said it’s a journey and I been pulling advice here and there from breeders and making my own so far so good. Best of luck keep me posted 

On 5/16/2022 at 9:34 PM, Juancho said:

The best advice I can give is water changes and lots of Feeding. I think this goes for most fish in general.  It’s tough and I don’t think people stay committed to that because its a lot of work. I mean if you listen a lot of these master breeders there talking 10% water changes every day!!! I do a 30% every other day and seems to do good. That’s why I said on the new rack I’m using a auto water change To help with growth. And feeding 3-4 times a day or more in small intervals. Like I said it’s a journey and I been pulling advice here and there from breeders and making my own so far so good. Best of luck keep me posted 

That sounds like a lot of work man, ima be working a lot this summer but I still want to give it a shot. Why do the water changes help so much? Are they only necessary because of the excess feeding? Since I’m guessing that racks up the nitrates? Also with so much feeding isn’t bloating a possible problem? 

On 5/17/2022 at 5:28 AM, dan12boy said:

That sounds like a lot of work man, ima be working a lot this summer but I still want to give it a shot. Why do the water changes help so much? Are they only necessary because of the excess feeding? Since I’m guessing that racks up the nitrates? Also with so much feeding isn’t bloating a possible problem? 

Exactly you want to change the water to keep all the toxins down. And when there small you keep the water warmer and so there metabolism increases so they do eat more. If you do it in small portions I think is the key.  

• Thanks 1

So I brought a fluval breeder box because they way I been hatching the clutches recently is I stick the whole cave/ water spike in the breeder box with a almond leaf under it. And some small pieces of wood and Christmas moss. So when the fry hatch I can remove the day or let the dad release the fry and I don’t have to worry about losing any. It’s been working good. And I tend to have other fish sometime that can be a pain to keep out of the cave.  The resin I bought it is because it’s long enough to fit the water spike with room for the fry to grow with out doing a lot of moving. Still learning but this works for me know. So far so good. When I had the cave in the other breeder box it had to go in at a angle I rather have it flat. Just me I guess. Albino / brown in the new breeder and super reds in the tote above the 20 tall. New pics to com with wigglers 

10D48FB2-E6A7-4537-B4BD-3E00BE49D6AF.jpeg

7FA29807-7330-4C6E-A937-B9F26602790F.jpeg

075DB193-8AFB-4ADB-B967-D61E4A122DF3.jpeg

On 5/18/2022 at 1:00 AM, Juancho said:

So I brought a fluval breeder box because they way I been hatching the clutches recently is I stick the whole cave/ water spike in the breeder box with a almond leaf under it. And some small pieces of wood and Christmas moss. So when the fry hatch I can remove the day or let the dad release the fry and I don’t have to worry about losing any. It’s been working good. And I tend to have other fish sometime that can be a pain to keep out of the cave.  The resin I bought it is because it’s long enough to fit the water spike with room for the fry to grow with out doing a lot of moving. Still learning but this works for me know. So far so good. When I had the cave in the other breeder box it had to go in at a angle I rather have it flat. Just me I guess. Albino / brown in the new breeder and super reds in the tote above the 20 tall. New pics to com with wigglers 

10D48FB2-E6A7-4537-B4BD-3E00BE49D6AF.jpeg

7FA29807-7330-4C6E-A937-B9F26602790F.jpeg

075DB193-8AFB-4ADB-B967-D61E4A122DF3.jpeg

How do you sell these when they grow big enough? 

On 5/18/2022 at 6:20 PM, dan12boy said:

How do you sell these when they grow big enough? 

I have a local fish store I been going to for a long time. One thing about BN is most stores maybe all like Having then  in stock. I get store credit for other fish or food. 

On 5/18/2022 at 8:13 PM, Juancho said:

I have a local fish store I been going to for a long time. One thing about BN is most stores maybe all like Having then  in stock. I get store credit for other fish or food. 

That’s so dope, hope my lfs will be glad to buy some from me when the time comes

• Like 1

Their getting bigger! makes me happy to see these guys doin so good. Hoping to get a few good males out of here I have about 7 super red females and only one male my other male was sick for several days I couldn’t  get him to come around and he passed away. The good thing is 6 of the females are from a different breeder across the country so hoping to get a great strain of reds. Some of the plecos in the pic are some albinos that I had no idea I actually had till I saw a few in cave bonus! 

B88F9C45-FD39-4874-A242-C3A7FFF26B46.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...