Vinegar eel

Zodiak246

At our fish club, some folks sell them in sealed plastic food storage containers. They fit 2/3 with the vinegar mixture, and leave ca. 1/3 air t the top. One breeder sells his with an added piece of sponge since the eels like a bit of structure to group around.

I think that you could sell them in any bottle. Vinegar Eels are very hardy. I did find, however, that you want to keep them away from sustained periods of direct sunlight on a window sill. I buy vinegar "with the mother" in from the natural foods section of our grocery store and add that as my use depletes the vinegar. Sometimes I add a small slice of fresh apple . . . but I'm not convinced that's all that necessary.

If you haven't watched it, Cory's recent visit to Dean's fishroom features a lovely Vinegar Eel setup. It's worth watching just to see the Eels!! 😂

• Like 3

On 4/25/2022 at 11:09 PM, Fish Folk said:

At our fish club, some folks sell them in sealed plastic food storage containers. They fit 2/3 with the vinegar mixture, and leave ca. 1/3 air t the top. One breeder sells his with an added piece of sponge since the eels like a bit of structure to group around.

I think that you could sell them in any bottle. Vinegar Eels are very hardy. I did find, however, that you want to keep them away from sustained periods of direct sunlight on a window sill. I buy vinegar "with the mother" in from the natural foods section of our grocery store and add that as my use depletes the vinegar. Sometimes I add a small slice of fresh apple . . . but I'm not convinced that's all that necessary.

If you haven't watched it, Cory's recent visit to Dean's fishroom features a lovely Vinegar Eel setup. It's worth watching just to see the Eels!! 😂

ORD thank you for the video link, I was looking for it and then scrolled down and sawyou already dropped it!

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 2:47 PM, zodiak245 said:

can you use regular tap water or it has to be dechlorinated?

I used regular tap water that sat in a bucket over night but the city I live in doesn't put much chlorine in the water. The same might not work with your water though.