Jump to content

Animal Fun Facts


Recommended Posts

I love animals and I love fun facts so animal fun facts are extra exciting. Let's list some!  Here's some I remember:

There are 650,000 vertebrate species. This includes all mammals, fish, birds, reptiles and amphibians. This only accounts for 3% of all animal species in the entire animal kingdom. The other 97% consists entirely of invertebrates. There are 400,000 beetle species alone!

A sloth (I forget which kind, 3 toed maybe? All maybe?) only goes to the bathroom about once a week and loses 30% of its body weight when it does. 

A blue whale's heart is the size of an elephant. 

A mantis shrimp can see 12 different colors compared to our 3. 

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sharks have something like 8-9 senses (it can vary from shark to shark).

Great whites have the normal senses, the also sense pressure, EMFs, they have Ampullae of Lorenzini, and their lateral lines.




Sharks also possess a row of pores around the pectoral fins and gills, known as pit organs. These contain neuromast-like cells that are believed to aid the shark in the detection of temperature changes.


Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...