Can anyone tell me what these little creatures are?

stinefeld

Can you get some closer pictures? Definitely could be something larval...

here are some terrifying yet fascinating possibilities, it seems to have mandibles and some type of legs/swimmers(or external gills maybe?!) like these different "fly" larva. Could be Alderfly larva based off their descriptions...

https://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/field-guide/hellgrammite

PS. I cracked up at your "I am a fool" statement, I say that all the time.

EDIT. I just read the article and they do seem to be gills (on the hellgrammite) It like a bad "read all instructions first" moment. 😑

Edited by Dancing Matt
I forgot to read...

It is definitely is something larval, and really does look like a tiny hellgrammite, but that was the best photo I could get with my DLSR camera.... so that's probably the best that I can do. The little guys were probably only 2-3 mm long.  One odd thing that I noticed was that their mouths were hovering towards the surface like they were trying to breathe air. I had to go away for a few days so i just crushed them in case they started attacking my shrimp. If i notice any more I will snag it and move it into a tiny jar, feed it, and watch it grow since i would love to see it in the adolescent/mature stages... I just don't want to see that happen in my aquarium XD. 

And to Mr. KrazyJohn, since I am away i cant get a photo of it but its lost all of its "banana" bits and now just shoots off lily pads every few days.  They've gotten to be about 5in diameter so I trim them back once every few weeks. But it did look like the banana plant that was advertised for ~5-6 months.