Behavioural signs

Paul 71

Your kH is zero that can cause pH swings stressing your fish a would add some crushed coral in a media bag to your filter also Your nitrates are really high your fish could be suffering from nitrate poisoning you want your nitrates below 40ppm what I would do daily 50% water changes add a double dose of seachems prime and small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 at that level it shouldn't harm your plants the salt will help with nitrate poisoning till you get your nitrates below 40ppm you could add some floating plants such as dwarf water lettuce or Amazonian frogbit or the duck weed to help lower your nitrates as well in the long term @Paul 71

I have some dried shrimp & can crush some eggshell too. EWill tapsafe help? It's similar & removes the chlorine & other additives in tapwater. I have 2 Pomacia Coniculata snails in too. Will the dsp of salt be safe for the 2 by 1 foot aquarium? should I clean the bottom & move fish to a tub? I have an old hamster tray but blew the Marina pump twice & using an old beta filter. I have the small aquarium 1 but the replacement is being posted tomorrow so I can clean prior to installing? 

Apple snails can tolerate salt at that level prime helps in detoxifying nitrates but if you don't have it to hand use tap safe  the best thing to do is water changes to get your nitrates down am not sure about dried shrimp you could you can use crushed egg shell I have only ever used crushed coral or crushed oyster shells in my tanks  I would leave the fish were they are and add the egg shell and start doing the daily water changes to get your nitrates below 40ppm @Paul 71

About a minute before booting up my laptop the pump stopped. Should I try to get a refund? 

It's from Amazon but all I did was plug it in the adaptor, seat it, moved toe wire away so it didn't make a buzzing & put a piece of rubber on the back to tilt it forward slightly.

I can't see how it will break the motor but it could be an internal issue & it's the third one that's broke but being a marina slim 15 pump maybe they're notoriously lousy setups?

Is there another route please I should go down like replacing the entire lot or change it for a different model or leave the make for another one?

Edited by Paul 71

I'll call up Amazon to see if they can refund and exchange it. The impellor is sound but it was a little noisy in it's last few hours of operation. Nothing seems broken so I guessed it's the motor unit or the moulded plug 

P1040730.JPG.a1b6612ca09215c2f460df9bbe3567cc.JPGP1040731.JPG.0cba144b7860843a92a26d88863f4c2d.JPGP1040728.JPG.9dae8dd6eed94c98fe45180c8c7ee53d.JPGI was looking on the amazon website on returns of unopened packages. 

As I used the product and it stopped working for no particular reason will they still refund or exchange it for a working one? I am using a small beta pump temporarily but need today to remove and replace half the water in the aquarium due to high amonia and nearly two months using the temporary one. I am now stuck with the faulty adaptor having looked into it finding two springs and two copper plate terminals not knowing how it works correctly. 

UPDATE....

My two apple snails were mating yesterday and just laid eggs so I will be unable to do any large water changes if any. Can you suggest please?

• 3 weeks later...

I did the water change and topped up and just put the shells which the snails are fine with but mountain cloud has vanished last week so fearing the worst & removed ornaments but will leave two densa, couple of stones & 1 small ornament. Will the newjet pump be too much? The two rubys were fighting the current when fully open so I closed off halfway