Are these pods safe to be used as botanicals

Daviscoast

On 4/14/2022 at 3:56 PM, Daviscoast said:

Hi. I have a poinciana tree in my yard and they drop these magnificent pods I would love to put into my aquarium. Anyone have experience or can find it on the internet cause I have had no luck. Thank you!

16499733882578206195833559256036.jpg

Native to Madagascar drylands, the pods are apparently carried by floodwaters to new areas of land to germinate. The pods can remain dormant, waiting anywhere from 5 to 11 years for the floodwaters that will relocate the pods to a suitable environment to grow... they have become endangered in Madagascar because so many people have taken the pods away to grow elsewhere, where they have become invasive.

Apparently, the pods have natural herbicidal tendencies, to improve their chances to successfully grow, and the bark and gum are medicinal.

Based on all the information that is available on their growth patterns and requirements for appropriate growth in Madagascar, I wouldn't put them in my aquarium. As a natural herbicide, they may inhibit growth or outright kill any plants in your aquarium. As a legume, they will send out a root from the seed pod before you see any sprouting action, and I can't find any info on how long the root gets before the sprout makes an appearance.

So, based on my knowledge of plants, trees and waterways, this is one of the few that I would not put in *my* aquarium.

I might put it in an outdoor tub without other plants though, because I like science and testing things.😁

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 9:26 AM, Torrey said:

Native to Madagascar drylands, the pods are apparently carried by floodwaters to new areas of land to germinate. The pods can remain dormant, waiting anywhere from 5 to 11 years for the floodwaters that will relocate the pods to a suitable environment to grow... they have become endangered in Madagascar because so many people have taken the pods away to grow elsewhere, where they have become invasive.

Apparently, the pods have natural herbicidal tendencies, to improve their chances to successfully grow, and the bark and gum are medicinal.

Based on all the information that is available on their growth patterns and requirements for appropriate growth in Madagascar, I wouldn't put them in my aquarium. As a natural herbicide, they may inhibit growth or outright kill any plants in your aquarium. As a legume, they will send out a root from the seed pod before you see any sprouting action, and I can't find any info on how long the root gets before the sprout makes an appearance.

So, based on my knowledge of plants, trees and waterways, this is one of the few that I would not put in *my* aquarium.

I might put it in an outdoor tub without other plants though, because I like science and testing things.😁

Thank you so much for you knowledge and input. I was thinking of doing some outdoor ponds as I live in tropical Australia and it is quite warm all year round.