Buce Identification

Bucephalandra are lovely! Nice write up on them here.

Technically, I _think_ there’s only a small handful of taxonomically different species:

(1) Bucephalandra gigantea

(2) Bucephalandra magnifolia

(3) Bucephalandra motoleyana

But the variations within these have acquired for them many, many nicknames.

Yours looks somewhat like Bucephalandra Theia 5…

42C11D56-83B8-4C7D-8038-BCF8F66E97BD.jpeg.26dda9b1969de3a00c83dd82f3a7cb1b.jpeg

Or like Bucephalandra Theia 6…

E4EA02D0-1BFE-46C7-A6D8-C8F863ABC448.jpeg.add4f4c19af439e12ef558e54304e36d.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Informative read! The plant I have looks closest to "Theia 6." It will be interesting to see how it grows, as long as it doesn't melt. Last time I bought buce, it was a brownie blue from my lfs. Everything looked great until it melted. 

On 4/14/2022 at 10:22 AM, sairving said:

Informative read! The plant I have looks closest to "Theia 6." It will be interesting to see how it grows, as long as it doesn't melt. Last time I bought buce, it was a brownie blue from my lfs. Everything looked great until it melted. 

Isn't that the truth with all plants, though? Do you have any so-called "pest snails" in your tank? I have caught on to Cory's wiley ways with the snails:

Bladder snails, more than any other species except perhaps my Lymnaea, will eat the melt pretty rapidly, down to healthy tissue... which actually reduces the chances of the entire plant dying... as long as light and nutrient needs are met, of course. I am now putting all emersed plants in my QT tank with a healthy number of bladder snails and a really bright light on one end, diffused light on the other. I'm losing fewer plants. Some plants just go in a bucket with the shoplight on top, and I put snails directly on the plants. 

Salvaging tissue culture plants takes a bit more effort, and the tissue culture plants need a few weeks in water before introducing the snails, because the snails are under the impression the tissue culture growth isn't healthy growth. 😏 So glad ACO doesn't carry tissue culture plants, as much as I begged them to several years ago😅