What Crypt is this?

My LFS has several of these beautiful green crypts in a Seachem fertilizer advertising tank. The leafs are green and the mature stems are black. The one in my photo is about 6" wide. The newer shoots have green stems until they mature and then are black. I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but it's possible that the newest leaves come in with red on them and then turn green, but I can't remember if that's a fact about this crypt or the one that is similar but has red stalks/stems instead of black.

I was told what it is... but I forgot! *Insert little critter here*

image.png.6d69aa0371fba2249b79de2c06dada99.png

I Just Forgot!

image.png.eeda8f7dc015dfee54a88b5a0936879c.png

Sorry, we read a lot of little critter books. 😛 

On 4/14/2022 at 8:07 AM, JettsPapa said:

My initial thought is it looks like plain old crypt wendtii green, maybe with a little bit of black beard algae on the stems.

So that was my thought as well! I asked the plant guru at the LFS anyway though, just to be sure because the stems are indeed black. Similar to what you may see on certain species of fern. It's not a Wendtii Green.

Okay now I have to go solve the mystery for real life. I'm going to spend the gas money and go see it in person again. Their plant shipment came in today.... Ehem, and they have some fish I want to see... not buy... see... T^T I want to buy them... Who am I kidding.

• Haha 2

On 4/14/2022 at 1:14 PM, Minanora said:

Okay now I have to go solve the mystery for real life. I'm going to spend the gas money and go see it in person again. Their plant shipment came in today.... Ehem, and they have some fish I want to see... not buy... see... T^T I want to buy them... Who am I kidding.

let us know what fish you get.🤪

On 4/14/2022 at 1:08 PM, lefty o said:

let us know what fish you get.🤪

Well I wound up going to a different store because of the price of gas... and I was hoping that my trip to the other store would have meant selling some fish. But they didn't have room, so I had to go to the other shop. Gotta pick your battles! Selling fish takes priority over buying plants (not fish, shhhh). Maybe tomorrow I'll go.

We're going on vacation soon so I am trying to lean out my stock so my house sitters won't have to change water or feed a billion fish.

Okay. According to the guru at the LFS... cryptocoryne hudoroi.

Honestly, I think that's incorrect. I bought one from them. We'll see how it develops.... I put two wendtii greens in the tank yesterday. I have the cryptocoryne hudoroi in the fry growout tank for now.

He stated that the ones in the display tank are the mature form. Crypts are a pita to identify because they can grow so slow. So this will be a patience game.

The tank they are in is very deep, 24" at least so maybe the leaf texture is correct for a lower PAR.... I dunno. I'm not convinced yet.