I MIGHT have put a trace amount of soap in my aquarium… what should I do?

Karen B.

Greetings 

I am kinda overly paranoid and stressed about everything.  Tonight I did a 50% wc on my betta tank and filled it back up.  Went on to do other things in my evening. Eventually I came back to wipe some water off the filter top. Doing so, the tip of my finger touched the water flow.

Few moment later, I grabbed a bottle of water with a lot of condensation on it. When I put it back down, I rubbed my hands to dry them and noticed some soap residue forming - I would guess I didn’t thoroughly rinced my hands last time I washed them.

So now of course I worry about my betta. So I did another 50% wc. There is no soap bubbles visible, no residue on top of the water… Should I worry or everything should be fine?

On 4/13/2022 at 11:07 PM, Karen B. said:

Greetings 

I am kinda overly paranoid and stressed about everything.  Tonight I did a 50% wc on my betta tank and filled it back up.  Went on to do other things in my evening. Eventually I came back to wipe some water off the filter top. Doing so, the tip of my finger touched the water flow.

Few moment later, I grabbed a bottle of water with a lot of condensation on it. When I put it back down, I rubbed my hands to dry them and noticed some soap residue forming - I would guess I didn’t thoroughly rinced my hands last time I washed them.

So now of course I worry about my betta. So I did another 50% wc. There is no soap bubbles visible, no residue on top of the water… Should I worry or everything should be fine?

If you have any aeration and any soap you will know it. (bubbles)   I would change more water again anyway.  

I worry about this. Too, I over rinse hands and arms after washing hands and use tons of paper towels constantly. Like the others said above/before me. Water changes are your best thing … If you are in doubt,  please do a few changes to be sure 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 7:45 AM, Bev C said:

"...and use tons of paper towels constantly."

My paper towel use has also increased since I got my tank. I need to cut back by using regular towels so I can quit scolding myself.

• Like 1
  • Love 1