Here comes the fuzz? What is it?

Not sure what this is. It looks cool but is it harmful? The tanks is about 8 weeks old or there about. All levels are good except PH which is on the high side. I put some root tabs in a few weeks ago for the plants and dose liquid ferts ever other day for the plants that feed from the water column. 

I noticed this on some of the drift wood (spiderwood I think) as well as some brown algae on the wood and pretty much everywhere else. 🙂 Trying to wait out the brown algae in hopes that it goes away. If not, what would be the best small community oriented algae eater I wonder? I have had plecos in the past and some ate algae and some were indifferent to it. 

Thanks for any tips or input!

IMG_20220412_215823153.jpg

Congratulations you have spider wood biofilm. I sometimes dry  my spiderwood out and reintroduce it to the tank to grow more of it for my shrimp and snails to munch. Completely harmless and will go away on its own so enjoy it while you have it. 😁

Brown diatom will disappear on its own as well. Enjoy the process. 

Edited by Guppysnail
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 9:26 AM, Guppysnail said:

Congratulations you have spider wood biofilm. I sometimes dry  my spiderwood out and reintroduce it to the tank to grow more of it for my shrimp and snails to munch. Completely harmless and will go away on its own so enjoy it while you have it. 😁

Ah, nice! Thanks for the input, I am wary of getting run away algae. LOL

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 9:26 AM, Guppysnail said:

Please calm my soul and tell me I’ve joined the spiderwood biofilm club - it looked so dark initially I panicked and was like ‘how did I get black beard algae so fast in this new tank’? Its technically manzanita wood, but it’s right around the 7 week mark 😅

8D2AD0CA-4715-4C1D-A0CA-1AB9E7C2B067.jpeg

36BEF7B3-4306-4E3A-81A5-258742FA4E84.jpeg

On 4/15/2022 at 9:21 PM, Parakeett said:

Please calm my soul and tell me I’ve joined the spiderwood biofilm club - it looked so dark initially I panicked and was like ‘how did I get black beard algae so fast in this new tank’? Its technically manzanita wood, but it’s right around the 7 week mark 😅

8D2AD0CA-4715-4C1D-A0CA-1AB9E7C2B067.jpeg

36BEF7B3-4306-4E3A-81A5-258742FA4E84.jpeg

My manzanita gets that as well. I’ve not met wood that does not grow cool stuff for awhile. Even some manzanita I had out of tanks for 6 mos to a year then returned grew cool stuff. Oddly enough the same manzanita used to have Java moss on it before drying and living in a drawer. When I put the manzanita back in after the stuff went away the Java moss started growing again. If it bugs you just wipe it off. I use 100% melamine thin sheets you can rip in half. Unscented no detergent. Works great.  Wipes algae off wood and hard scape really well also. 

@Guppysnail phew! I was just worried something was going very awry (I mean, it’s still a work in progress in general), but things that eventually fix themselves can enjoy their stay while they’re here. Eventually that piece will sink completely and my snail can enjoy (I pulled it from the tank initially, soaked it in a liquid carbon, and has scrubbed it, when I put it back the biofilm returned with a vengeance). It just happened to be in a very high flow spot so I assumed the worst. Thank you!!

• 3 weeks later...

And now, after being out of town for a week, it seems this film has turned to a green slime that appears to be covering everything (but mostly the bottom)  Is it harmful? Is it just what I keep hearing referred to as "mulm"?

I am in the process of setting up my quarantine tank so I can go buy some algae eaters and to replace some of the fish I lost during the cycling of the tank so they may eat it up once I get them clear to go in the main tank. 

Until then should I limit the light some, limit the liquid ferts or just vacuum it up? Thanks again to the Aquarium Coop fam for any advice or insight. 

fishtank algae film.jpg