Lexi B

pH 7.8

Nitrates 20-30

Hardness 6

Nitrite 0

Ammonia 0

KH/Buffer 4

Water Temperature typically 78- raised to 80 now 

Hi everyone. About two weeks ago, I noticed minor fin rot on my Betta Danny. While I was perplexed as to why it came up (I test consistently and my parameters have always stayed as they are above), I treated him with maracyn thinking it would work. It didn't. Last week I treated with ich x and maracyne combined, raised the temp to 80, the typical drill. But he's rapidly come to the state he has now, in just a week losing half of his lower fin mass. He's also begun to float partially sideways at the waters edge and has lost all of his spunk and energy that is typical of him.

Nothing I do has helped, he's only gotten worse. I can't pin point the source of the rot either, his parameters are clean, his food is up to date, the meds and water tests weren't expired, and hes never exhibited signs of stress. 

Back in November, his tank was destroyed and he spent almost two hours out of water. He barely survived and was on deaths door for a week. Although he had been lively since then,. Starting to worry that the incident may have left him weak or caused something internal. 

Does anything know what I can do? I love him very much and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm very distressed and am starting to feel like there's nothing else I can do. 

Edit: a picture of my poor boy. Looking worse today then ever in the past few days 

PXL_20220405_152607367.jpg

Edited by Lexi B

For severe infections I would recommend a combined treatment of kanaplex and jungal fungas clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone together following this treatment schedule using jungal fungas clear instead of furan2 as it has been discontinued as most cases of fin rot are gram negative if he's not eating that means he's putting all his energy in to fighting the infection and it 50/50 at this point as to whether he pulls thought

Screenshot_20210721-021420~5.png

On 4/5/2022 at 9:09 AM, Colu said:

For severe infections I would recommend a combined treatment of kanaplex and jungal fungas clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone together following this treatment schedule using jungal fungas clear instead of furan2 as it has been discontinued as most cases of fin rot are gram negative if he's not eating that means he's putting all his energy in to fighting the infection and it 50/50 at this point as to whether he pulls thought

Screenshot_20210721-021420~5.png

Oh my god bless you. 

He's still got a huge appetite, but that's always been his personality. Even when he was on deaths door, he always responds to food. 

I'll try this medication, and I really hope to see some improvements. 

Do you have any idea what could have caused the rot to start off? I want to know what I did wrong so I can prevent it when he starts to recover 

On 4/5/2022 at 7:08 PM, Lexi B said:

Oh my god bless you. 

He's still got a huge appetite, but that's always been his personality. Even when he was on deaths door, he always responds to food. 

I'll try this medication, and I really hope to see some improvements. 

Do you have any idea what could have caused the rot to start off? I want to know what I did wrong so I can prevent it when he starts to recover 

Fin rot can be caused by poor water quality to low of a temperature injury to the fins stress  fin nipping by other fish as you water parameters are fine  it's more than likely bought on by stress weaken his immune system 

On 4/5/2022 at 1:08 PM, Colu said:

Fin rot can be caused by poor water quality to low of a temperature injury to the fins stress  fin nipping by other fish as you water parameters are fine  it's more than likely bought on by stress weaken his immune system 

Dang. I wonder what it is stressing him out then. He is on his own in the tank. Thanks 

On 4/5/2022 at 9:28 PM, Lexi B said:

Dang. I wonder what it is stressing him out then. He is on his own in the tank. Thanks 

It could have been bought by the by his tank being destroy in November and now your seeing the after effects

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2022 at 1:31 PM, Colu said:

It could have been bought by the by his tank being destroy in November and now your seeing the after effects

One more thing: is furan 2 and API Fin & Body cure the same medication? I'm having a hard time finding Furan 2

On 4/5/2022 at 5:42 PM, quikv6 said:

Furan 2 has been discontinued. You need to find Jungle Fungus fizz tabs, which have Nitrofurazone as the active ingredient. You may be able to find a generic Nitrofurazone powder as well.

Oooh I totally misunderstood. Thought it was the fizz that had been discontinued- thanks!

On 4/5/2022 at 5:42 PM, quikv6 said:

Furan 2 has been discontinued. You need to find Jungle Fungus fizz tabs, which have Nitrofurazone as the active ingredient. You may be able to find a generic Nitrofurazone powder as well.

Haha just kidding it appears the fungus fizz tabs are also not available for whatever reason- can't find a generic nitrofurazone powder outside of a bulk koi pond product with no reviews. 

I'm sorry to be obnoxious, I'm just desperate. Any last recommendations?