Cali’s New Tank Thread!

sweetpoison

Thank you! I can’t believe you have all those babies are so cool!  Must get a video for me!  I could go find it on your page somewhere here.🤦‍♀️

Yes Discus are awesome ~ my favorite fish outside of Rummynose!  They do require daily water changes. They need Pristine water conditions. I thought about getting some for my 20 gallon but you would need at least three and I just think 20 gallon is too small. Plus that ~ water changes every day I think I’m over that🤪

On 6/3/2022 at 8:14 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Treating with the med trio is entirely up to you @sweetpoison. Cory has proven this can be effective and this is what their site says:

1. If you are treating new fish, make sure the quarantine tank is far away from your normal display tank, and do not let the tanks share any nets, siphons, buckets, or other equipment. Since droplets of water can travel on your hands to another aquarium, make sure to thoroughly wash your hands and arms with soap and hot water between tanks.
  2. If you are treating the entire display aquarium, do a thorough cleaning of the tank to make sure the fish’s environment is optimal and free of any stress factors before starting treatment. Wipe the aquarium walls so that you can easily observe the fish’s condition, clean out the waste in your filter, and use a siphon to vacuum the substrate and change the water.
  3. Remove any chemical filtration (such as activated carbon or Purigen), and turn off any UV sterilizers you may be using. Consider adding extra surface agitation (such as with a simple air stone and air pump), since some medications can change the water’s viscosity and hamper with the fish’s breathing ability.
  4. Do not dose according to the box instructions. Instead, add 1 packet of Maracyn, 1 packet of ParaCleanse, and 1 U.S. teaspoon of Ich-X for every 10 gallons of aquarium water. (Ich-X does not stain aquarium decorations in our experience, but be careful not to spill it because it can stain your skin or clothing.)
  5. Let the fish soak in the medication, and do not feed them or change any water for 1 week. (If you feel you must feed your fish, wait until Day 4 or 5, and only feed them very lightly.) You should keep the aquarium filter and heater on during this time. Also, aquarium lighting will not deactivate the medication.
  6. After 1 week has passed, change out 30% of the water in the aquarium. Resume feeding the fish, keep the water quality high, and watch for any change in symptoms.

I got the above instructions from here (I put the name of the 2 meds you asked about in bold above so you can see which ones):

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/how-to-treat-sick-aquarium-fish

If you get weak or sick fish, follow the link above for instructions on how to treat weak fish- as you won't be treating them with all 3 meds at once if they are weak. 

I’ve got the other two but The Maracyn I can’t find I can see Maracyn2 @ $53 for a three pack so I’m going to keep looking for that

So I am going to hit them soon as I buy them I’ll medicate the tank according to the directions of Cory’s.  Do you think I should let them swim around for a day or so in the new tank before I hit them with meds to see if they’re sick or weak?

Edited by sweetpoison

On 6/3/2022 at 8:14 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Treating with the med trio is entirely up to you @sweetpoison. Cory has proven this can be effective and this is what their site says:

1. If you are treating new fish, make sure the quarantine tank is far away from your normal display tank, and do not let the tanks share any nets, siphons, buckets, or other equipment. Since droplets of water can travel on your hands to another aquarium, make sure to thoroughly wash your hands and arms with soap and hot water between tanks.
  2. If you are treating the entire display aquarium, do a thorough cleaning of the tank to make sure the fish’s environment is optimal and free of any stress factors before starting treatment. Wipe the aquarium walls so that you can easily observe the fish’s condition, clean out the waste in your filter, and use a siphon to vacuum the substrate and change the water.
  3. Remove any chemical filtration (such as activated carbon or Purigen), and turn off any UV sterilizers you may be using. Consider adding extra surface agitation (such as with a simple air stone and air pump), since some medications can change the water’s viscosity and hamper with the fish’s breathing ability.
  4. Do not dose according to the box instructions. Instead, add 1 packet of Maracyn, 1 packet of ParaCleanse, and 1 U.S. teaspoon of Ich-X for every 10 gallons of aquarium water. (Ich-X does not stain aquarium decorations in our experience, but be careful not to spill it because it can stain your skin or clothing.)
  5. Let the fish soak in the medication, and do not feed them or change any water for 1 week. (If you feel you must feed your fish, wait until Day 4 or 5, and only feed them very lightly.) You should keep the aquarium filter and heater on during this time. Also, aquarium lighting will not deactivate the medication.
  6. After 1 week has passed, change out 30% of the water in the aquarium. Resume feeding the fish, keep the water quality high, and watch for any change in symptoms.

I got the above instructions from here (I put the name of the 2 meds you asked about in bold above so you can see which ones):

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/how-to-treat-sick-aquarium-fish

If you get weak or sick fish, follow the link above for instructions on how to treat weak fish- as you won't be treating them with all 3 meds at once if they are weak. 

Is this okay?

F59E5E13-B19A-4ADC-B042-CEA36C03084A.jpeg

On 6/3/2022 at 4:50 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

What is ACO?

On 6/3/2022 at 4:55 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

(ACO gets stuff within a few days to sacto fyi)

But their shipping is eight dollars!  That’s crazy!  On Amazon shipping is free for me but they don’t have that. They have all different kinds but you said it’s not the right kind😞. That link for chewy.com shipping is five.  I’m getting lower😂

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 11:33 AM, Patrick_G said:

They’ll ship for free if you buy $50. 

Yes I know that’s the case usually everywhere but I’m don’t need that much.  When I had all my 55 gallons I bought so much meds so much leftover that I never used. I’m not doing that this time😂

But thank you Patrick!

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 11:21 AM, sweetpoison said:

So I’m going to use this space for my new tank. 

Well guys here we go two months later I have water in this tank!  I hope the filter clears up the cloudiness ~ nothing his floated or fallen yet.  I have a sponge filter going and the heater and the HOB filter.  What do you think that puppy weighs? Second thought I don’t really want to know!   Oh and I added prime. It said 50 gallons for one cab.  This is a 20 so I added a half a cap…

Anything else I should do?  Besides wait?  I guess I should test my water parameters that might be a good idea🙄

How often should I do that and should I be feeding this tank some food ~  I forget what to do next you guys🤭

I hope y’all come back to see this and those who have been helping me🙏♥️

39236C1F-B1DA-4D06-9A03-28EFF5FF47FF.jpeg

I think it’s actually clearing up already. I love this tank ~ I know it looks like crap there’s no fish in it but I love it!

I have missed this hobby☺️♥️

Hey guys, if you could look at this thermometer I don’t understand it. I don’t like this one.  I’m going to get a floating or a regular one.

Im not sure if you could read it but The 80° is green and the 78 is blue?  What the hell does that mean?🤪

B315C4E6-56A1-4807-98B1-8371C9E89237.jpeg

And the heater doesn’t seem to be working either.  Is it supposed to like heat the tank??🤦‍♀️

Does it take a while to warm up and there’s nowhere on the heater which came with his tank, which appears to be very cheap, but it’s all I have right now. There’s no way to set the temperature ~ it must be related to the thermometer😂

On 6/6/2022 at 11:45 AM, sweetpoison said:

There’s no way to set the temperature

Some thermometers auto set to a certain temperature.

On 6/6/2022 at 4:03 PM, sweetpoison said:

how long does it take for the tanks to clear up weeks,  months?

At 2:04 in this video, I like the strainer the guy made. It prevents a disruption of the substrate when refilling the tank. Perhaps you can make something like this, then do a few water changes to clear your water up?

I love the "forest" you created.

• Like 1

I will check that out thank you so much!  It definitely is clearing up!  Do you want to know what I was doing when I came back to this post? I was reading about Planaria🤮. I hate them so much!!  I’ve never had them in any of my tanks but I know people who have. Did you know if you cut one in half they will multiply🥴

It’s like you know the gremlins don’t feed after midnight😂

On 6/8/2022 at 9:18 AM, sweetpoison said:

I was reading about Planaria🤮. I hate them so much!!  I’ve never had them in any of my tanks but I know people who have. Did you know if you cut one in half they will multiply🥴

It’s like you know the gremlins don’t feed after midnight😂

Well.... have fun with that.  😳   LOL!

So every time I want to move a plant or something in this aquarium it is going to do dust up like this and then take three days to clear up?  That is total BS😡 I washed this  sand FOREVER!

I’m so annoyed I just want to rip it all out😢