Cali’s New Tank Thread!

sweetpoison

On 4/27/2022 at 11:21 AM, sweetpoison said:

I remember having to go and get the valve for my python years ago. But none of these fit

I use a bucket in the sink, a pond pump in the bucket, and attached to the pond pump is the Python hose running to the tank.  I remember having to figure out faucet flow rate and the distance I was going with the Python hose in order to select the proper pond pump. But it works great. No spill water changes. Also I use one of those digital meat thermometers at the faucet to make sure the temp is the same as the tank. Prior to doing any water replacement, I add the dechlorinator right to the tank; the dosage that matches the amount of water I'm replacing.

Once again I have changed my fishes🤭

I’m not getting a Betta.  I’m going to get Rummynose tetras, neon tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, Celestial Pearl Danio, Harlequin Rasboras.  I’ve been reading for hours so they’re all compatible.  Unless you guys tell me different😐 only have a 20 gallon tank so I don’t wanna overdo it. How Many of each and do I get them all at the same time?

• Like 1

Well. They are all great fish I'll tell you that- besides the rummies I have had them all. Each of them generally the recommendation is 6. Theoretically this could work 24 fish is a lot- but they have rather low bioload- this is a 20 long? 

All but the CPDs (celestials) are mostly middle dweller fish so you'll have a lot of activity in the middle- a long would be better to accomodate this (I have 20 talls). 

NO. Get one group at a time, let them settle while, QT the next incoming group, add, let them settle while QT the next group....

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 3:33 PM, sweetpoison said:

Once again I have changed my fishes🤭

I’m not getting a Betta.  I’m going to get Rummynose tetras, neon tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, Celestial Pearl Danio, Harlequin Rasboras.  I’ve been reading for hours so they’re all compatible.  Unless you guys tell me different😐 only have a 20 gallon tank so I don’t wanna overdo it. How Many of each and do I get them all at the same time?

I think you could get five or six of each, but you won't be skipping water changes with that many fish. 

Another option would be Green neon tetras, Chilli Rasboras, Celestial Pearl Danios and some tiny cleaners like Otocinclus. These fish are smaller so you wouldn’t be a slave to the water changes. 

Theoretically you could add 2 groups the first time (and if they are sick you treat the tank). Then you QT the next group. 

You don't want to add too much at once- it can wobble your cycle and overwhelm you beneficial bacteria. 

But all those fish are great choices!!

@Patrick_G is right- bioload can be an issue- but it's all about what your level of maintenance will be (the kind of time you want/can spend on your tank)

I could argue: I have a very well established 20 gallon tall that has 70 Otos- 2 sponge filters and an HOB. (I only spot clean and change out a couple of gallons a week (because vacuuming substrate takes the water out)

I have another 20 gallon tall 10 Black Neons, 10 Harlequins, 1 Bolivian Ram (lots of snails). I don't need to change water here (but I do sometimes because I like to)- it always tests well (2 sponge filters)

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

On 6/1/2022 at 3:43 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Well. They are all great fish I'll tell you that- besides the rummies I have had them all. Each of them generally the recommendation is 6. Theoretically this could work 24 fish is a lot- but they have rather low bioload- this is a 20 long? 

All but the CPDs (celestials) are mostly middle dweller fish so you'll have a lot of activity in the middle- a long would be better to accomodate this (I have 20 talls). 

NO. Get one group at a time, let them settle while, QT the next incoming group, add, let them settle while QT the next group....

Yes my tank is a 20 long!  I don’t have a QT tank😞 I have a 3 gallon tank that’s not gonna work is it!  I don’t have room for a quarantine tank any suggestions?

Edited by sweetpoison

Well, @sweetpoison you can use a 3 gallon- I have used them for several guppies and several Otos (5 or 6 at a time). BUT this requires DAILY WATER CHANGES, cleaning detrius and etc. Plus- if you have to medicate- 3 gallon calculations are kind of a pain. So- get yourself a 5 gallon storage container- will be a little easier to maintain and easier to calculate meds. I would also if you haven't already- put another small sponge filter in your main tank- let it cycle with your first batch- then when you put fish in the storage bin- you put that cycled sponge inside. Once QT is over you can put the storage bin in a closet!

• Like 2

On 6/1/2022 at 4:18 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Well, @sweetpoison you can use a 3 gallon- I have used them for several guppies and several Otos (5 or 6 at a time). BUT this requires DAILY WATER CHANGES, cleaning detrius and etc. Plus- if you have to medicate- 3 gallon calculations are kind of a pain. So- get yourself a 5 gallon storage container- will be a little easier to maintain and easier to calculate meds. I would also if you haven't already- put another small sponge filter in your main tank- let it cycle with your first batch- then when you put fish in the storage bin- you put that cycled sponge inside. Once QT is over you can put the storage bin in a closet!

Ok ok!  But the 3gallon isn’t going to have heat or 5 gallon bucket right? I do have a sponge filter I have the HOB filter than I have the funge filter inside. So you think I should put another one in there?

you’re so smart and I appreciate every word you say♥️

so I’m going to put a schooling group of my one of my first fishes in my tank that is not yet cycled? Also how long is quarantine for two weeks right?

We used Metro on our Discus…

So getting new little fishy‘s what is more important besides the salt, would it be the Ick medicine?

also we would use a Aquarium salt when we knew that somebody wasn’t feeling well but I was reading about it just now and it says to use some at every water change I don’t remember doing that?

On 6/1/2022 at 3:44 PM, Patrick_G said:

I think you could get five or six of each, but you won't be skipping water changes with that many fish. 

Another option would be Green neon tetras, Chilli Rasboras, Celestial Pearl Danios and some tiny cleaners like Otocinclus. These fish are smaller so you wouldn’t be a slave to the water changes. 

How many of the Otocinclus could I get?

Also Patrick I have another question!

I just want one source where I could get all the fish I want when I want them… that not practical I’m thinking no😂

Edited by sweetpoison

On 6/2/2022 at 6:14 PM, sweetpoison said:

How many of the Otocinclus could I get?

Also Patrick I have another question!

I just want one source where I could get all the fish I want when I want them… that not practical I’m thinking no😂

I'd get 2-4 Otocinclus. They’re great little fish even if they didn’t chow down on the algae. Wait until the tank starts to grow some algae before adding them so they’ll have plenty to eat. 

I’d say get you fish from a local fish store. I prefer new school ones like Aquarium Co-op, but sometimes the crusty old school ones can be good too. 

On 6/1/2022 at 7:14 PM, sweetpoison said:

Yes my tank is a 20 long!  I don’t have a QT tank😞 I have a 3 gallon tank that’s not gonna work is it!  I don’t have room for a quarantine tank any suggestions?

My QT tank is a 3 gallon, which has 10 green neons (which I think you would love - video doesn't do them justice) waiting for their 75 to get set up. It's been up since January and very stable. I've had to toss endler babies in with them too, which has actually made them more active.

I'm going to be adding several schools of fish over time to let the cycle keep up - plus it spreads out the fun 🙂 Another possible clean up crew for you might be dwarf cories - super cute and stay very small so you could have room for a shoal and more activity at the bottom. Love CPDs, look forward to seeing yours! I just added clown killies to my shrimp tank and are my current favorite nano fish!

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 5:43 PM, sweetpoison said:

Ok ok!  But the 3gallon isn’t going to have heat or 5 gallon bucket right? I do have a sponge filter I have the HOB filter than I have the funge filter inside. So you think I should put another one in there?

No, no heater usually needed especially in something that small, just make sure you're not putting it in a super cool area. 

You can use a sponge filter from the tank and put it in the QT (so you'll have to replace the sponge in the main tank. I usually keep at least one back up sponge filter so I can trade them out for QT tanks and put the back up sponge in the main tank to cycle and it starts all over again. 

On 6/2/2022 at 6:24 PM, sweetpoison said:

I like this idea! So that would be 12 at one time…

Yes just the first time if you want to start with putting 12 in the main tank- keeping in mind that you may have to medicate the fish if they're sick (more gallons = more meds). After that only 6 fish in QT at a time to avoid overcrowding and ammonia build up (remembering water changes every day in smaller QT)

On 6/2/2022 at 6:10 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Maracyn; paracleanse; Ich-x

Optional: metronidazole; levamisole; jungle fizz.

All of these are GREAT places to start with the Salt. 

The first 3 cover a lot of bases. Have these on hand BEFORE you get your fish. 

On 6/2/2022 at 6:34 PM, Patrick_G said:

I'd get 2-4 Otocinclus.

I will always argue for 6- their bio load is next to nothing and they are shoaling fish- always do better in groups. NOW don't add these until you are WELLLL into an established tank! If you need some clean up crew before then I highly recommend 2-3 Nerites at most for the 20, but again wait until you get some algae- Nerites don't eat commercial foods! Corycats are great but again they need 6 and they are not algae eaters- they just eat the leftover foods and if you aren't a heavy feeder may need a little more set out for them- AND they also would need to be added last IMO

• Like 2

I am going to get the 5 gallon bucket as opposed to the 3 gal.  It’s so tiny.  You never said how long QT Is?  Also don’t I need to feed this tank daily after I fill it up?

So ~ 

I m going to fill up this tank turn on the heater the filters and then add prime and test water params.  

Then I’m coming back here♥️😂🫣

On 6/2/2022 at 7:44 PM, sweetpoison said:

I am going to get the 5 gallon bucket as opposed to the 3 gal.  It’s so tiny.  You never said how long QT Is?  Also don’t I need to feed this tank daily after I fill it up?

QT is a MINIMUM of 2 weeks (personally I do 3-4 weeks) and that's only if they are not sick and you don't have to medicate (or if you choose to do the med trio, after treatment and no signs of illness). If they get sick or you have a death, as a general rule I won't take them out of QT for 2 weeks after treating illness or 2 weeks after the death whichever came last if I had both.

Whatever container you use for QT make sure you can see through it well enough to observe the fish and light comes in.

You'll be keeping an eye out for illness during QT

Typos are lame

On 6/2/2022 at 7:06 PM, Jawjagrrl said:

My QT tank is a 3 gallon, which has 10 green neons (which I think you would love - video doesn't do them justice) waiting for their 75 to get set up. It's been up since January and very stable. I've had to toss endler babies in with them too, which has actually made them more active.

I'm going to be adding several schools of fish over time to let the cycle keep up - plus it spreads out the fun 🙂 Another possible clean up crew for you might be dwarf cories - super cute and stay very small so you could have room for a shoal and more activity at the bottom. Love CPDs, look forward to seeing yours! I just added clown killies to my shrimp tank and are my current favorite nano fish!

love your post!  I had to look up a few things, one is the endler babies😂 i’ve never heard of them. Why did you add them?  So cute!  So I’m gonna put 12 in my 3 gallon? And I don’t have a heater or anything for that that’s OK?  Seems so small for 12 fish😞

So your 75 gallon has been up since January? I bet it’s beautiful!  I want to look at your green neons Video.  All the schooling fish in your 75 is gonna look awesome I cannot wait to see that!

I think it would drive me crazy if I put 12 Rummynose , my favorite, in my three gal for TWO WEEKS😩I understand if I put them in my 20 gallon long, treating that would be more expensive because it’s bigger. But to me it doesn’t seem too bad because I’ve had five 55 gallons at one time and treating THAT was expensive!

You’ve been so helpful and friendly I love reading your advice to me. Don’t forget about me ~ I’m gonna need more😂

One last quick thing I remember getting discus, my favorite fish in the whole world. And we would hit him with meds right away when we got a new fish. But I forgot what the three meds were. The ones that somebody listed for me I cannot find🤫I get lost here so easy😂

What are those three meds and do you suggest that I hit them with them right when I put them in my tank?

I have to show you a picture of my discus!  I learned everything about keeping them. They’re all huddled in the end because of a water change which they got twice a day since they were a quarter size!  They were mad at me😂

DAA9C3ED-E3AE-41B2-AF54-DFE16C918001.jpeg

Edited by sweetpoison

On 6/2/2022 at 9:02 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

QT is a MINIMUM of 2 weeks (personally I do 3-4 weeks) and that's only if they are not sick and you don't have to medicate (or if you choose to do the med trio, after treatment and no signs of illness). If they get sick or you have a death, as a general rule I won't take them out of QT for 2 weeks after treating illness or 2 weeks after the death whichever came last if I had both.

Whatever container you use for QT make sure you can see through it well enough to observe the fish and light comes in.

You'll be keeping an eye out for illness during QT

I think I’m going to add 12 straight to the tank it’s only 20 gallon. Should I hit them with the three meds when I do that?  Or wait until they show or if they show signs of illness?. But I should add some salt right because he may need to feel less stressed?  Can you give me the list of those three meds again please?

Treating with the med trio is entirely up to you @sweetpoison. Cory has proven this can be effective and this is what their site says:

1. If you are treating new fish, make sure the quarantine tank is far away from your normal display tank, and do not let the tanks share any nets, siphons, buckets, or other equipment. Since droplets of water can travel on your hands to another aquarium, make sure to thoroughly wash your hands and arms with soap and hot water between tanks.
  2. If you are treating the entire display aquarium, do a thorough cleaning of the tank to make sure the fish’s environment is optimal and free of any stress factors before starting treatment. Wipe the aquarium walls so that you can easily observe the fish’s condition, clean out the waste in your filter, and use a siphon to vacuum the substrate and change the water.
  3. Remove any chemical filtration (such as activated carbon or Purigen), and turn off any UV sterilizers you may be using. Consider adding extra surface agitation (such as with a simple air stone and air pump), since some medications can change the water’s viscosity and hamper with the fish’s breathing ability.
  4. Do not dose according to the box instructions. Instead, add 1 packet of Maracyn, 1 packet of ParaCleanse, and 1 U.S. teaspoon of Ich-X for every 10 gallons of aquarium water. (Ich-X does not stain aquarium decorations in our experience, but be careful not to spill it because it can stain your skin or clothing.)
  5. Let the fish soak in the medication, and do not feed them or change any water for 1 week. (If you feel you must feed your fish, wait until Day 4 or 5, and only feed them very lightly.) You should keep the aquarium filter and heater on during this time. Also, aquarium lighting will not deactivate the medication.
  6. After 1 week has passed, change out 30% of the water in the aquarium. Resume feeding the fish, keep the water quality high, and watch for any change in symptoms.

I got the above instructions from here (I put the name of the 2 meds you asked about in bold above so you can see which ones):

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/how-to-treat-sick-aquarium-fish

If you get weak or sick fish, follow the link above for instructions on how to treat weak fish- as you won't be treating them with all 3 meds at once if they are weak. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 7:45 AM, sweetpoison said:

love your post!  I had to look up a few things, one is the endler babies😂 i’ve never heard of them. Why did you add them?  So cute!  So I’m gonna put 12 in my 3 gallon? And I don’t have a heater or anything for that that’s OK?  Seems so small for 12 fish😞

So your 75 gallon has been up since January? I bet it’s beautiful!  I want to look at your green neons Video.  All the schooling fish in your 75 is gonna look awesome I cannot wait to see that!

I think it would drive me crazy if I put 12 Rummynose , my favorite, in my three gal for TWO WEEKS😩I understand if I put them in my 20 gallon long, treating that would be more expensive because it’s bigger. But to me it doesn’t seem too bad because I’ve had five 55 gallons at one time and treating THAT was expensive!

You’ve been so helpful and friendly I love reading your advice to me. Don’t forget about me ~ I’m gonna need more😂

One last quick thing I remember getting discus, my favorite fish in the whole world. And we would hit him with meds right away when we got a new fish. But I forgot what the three meds were. The ones that somebody listed for me I cannot find🤫I get lost here so easy😂

What are those three meds and do you suggest that I hit them with them right when I put them in my tank?

I have to show you a picture of my discus!  I learned everything about keeping them. They’re all huddled in the end because of a water change which they got twice a day since they were a quarter size!  They were mad at me😂

DAA9C3ED-E3AE-41B2-AF54-DFE16C918001.jpeg

@xXInkedPhoenixX provided excellent advice for QT, whichever place you chose to do it. A 20 isn't bad to medicate as you said. 

My QT tank got set up in January, thinking I'd have my 75s running before now - but life happens and we were building the stand for them. You can see our progress on my sidebyside journal in my signature. The neons are so shy I'm not sure what they are going to think of such a giant tank when it's ready! I've got congo tetras also waiting, but they get to hang out with the fish in my 55.

I have chili endlers in a 5 gal display tank I made for my husband, which was fine until they started making more... quickly! I was trying to separate the females from the boys and moved them in with the neons temporarily, not knowing that they could hold reproductive material for 6 MONTHS... and they had more babies a month after they had been separated. They just had even MORE in my 55! I'm either going to have to adapt to a community where some get eaten by larger fish or move on from livebearers since I don't have an LFS or local fishy friends to share them with. They are fun though, can do cooler water and males have been great with my shrimp.

Your discus are gorgeous! They are on my wish list one day, but hesitant given how hard our water is.