BN Pleco - Normal color or something suspicious?

FyaNyan

Hello!

I have been studying the fishes in my tank, and my bristle-nose pleco seems to have developed discoloration since purchasing. During quarantine, I used the trio of medicines recommended by this site as a precaution before moving this fish into my main tank. Are these light-colored patches anything to worry about? I have never kept this species before. Do they tend to be splotchy?

397332211_BNPleco.jpg.44b4680aa786f55f875d4d87c9c66d47.jpg

EDIT: I realized I accidentally annotated a brown line near the pectoral fin. Please disregard that blooper.

Edited by FyaNyan

I had mine with similar behavior.  When I was trying to find out what it was, I was looking into this exact thing. I also have a clown that does the exact same thing and literally never has any patterning at all.

9/10 it's going to be just pleco camoflauge (they do that it seems) and it could just be from stress.

Keep an eye on behavior, but you should be totally fine. When the fish settles in or gets more comfortable it should be a lot more reliable to notice. If it is a disease you're looking towards bacterial (from rubbing on something) or fungal just based on what you're seeing. Considering the pleco is hanging out on the white rock...... I would lean towards camo

https://www.google.com/search?q=bristlenose+pleco+camouflage&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjmiYn_lPL2AhUeADQIHSICC1QQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=bristlenose+pleco+camouflage&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzIECAAQGDoFCAAQgARQsRRYiChgpyloAHAAeACAAWGIAbEHkgECMTOYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZ8ABAQ&sclient=img&ei=6JFGYub1H56A0PEPooSsoAU&bih=698&biw=1525&client=firefox-b-1-d

• Like 2

Just want to say thanks for the help! It’s always interesting to learn behaviors of fish species that are new to me.

I looked up pictures of BN pleco camouflage and that looks like what happening with my fish!

Edited by FyaNyan
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...