Identify this goldfish species

EVoyager31

Bought this guy out of an “assorted” tank at my lfs. This particular store is more saltwater focused and the employee wasn’t 100% on what type he was. 
He looked a little crusty when I first got him but he is doing well so far, in a tank with my large fantail and a smaller fancy. My knee jerk assessment was some sort of oranda.. but his lil brain cap isn’t as big as I would expect.

Thoughts?

F019270D-A1C7-4331-87DE-EC1F9E9D82E0.jpeg.a75b7ade146e89d13edccc29041f0c9b.jpeg
918D7F1D-0601-4DD9-99D0-3764DDF51341.jpeg.db1cbfc6785afdf1cab8a8d1833ea55f.jpeg

p.s. his name is Russ. Pics of my fantail Buddy and my small fancy Rooney for fun 🤩 

7A5773BE-2945-4C11-B5D7-FD84EB40620B.jpeg

D300A32F-80D3-4D1F-86F3-659FB00F4BA9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It looks like an oranda for sure.  The wen is pretty thin, but that may just be because the fish is young.  Feed them plenty of good food and lots of clean water and the wen will grow out in no time!

I"m not sure about it being a redcapped oranda, though.  Aren't those all white bodies with just the red wen?

Stan

On 3/31/2022 at 10:23 PM, StanF said:

It looks like an oranda for sure.  The wen is pretty thin, but that may just be because the fish is young.  Feed them plenty of good food and lots of clean water and the wen will grow out in no time!

I"m not sure about it being a redcapped oranda, though.  Aren't those all white bodies with just the red wen?

Stan

Good advice! Right now all my goldfish get a mix of gel repashy, pellet, occasionally peas, frozen foods, and hiraki food. Like to mix it up to keep them happy 😊 

• Like 1

I bought a young goldfish labeled as an Oranda from a box store.  It was smaller than yours but had a very thin wen as well.  I think when we get them from stores that don’t take pains to get well bred goldfish we end up with hybrids.  But your fish is beautiful anyway and my little “Dot” is now quite large but still has a thin wen.  Oh well, she still greets me eagerly and is fun to watch.

On 3/31/2022 at 10:49 PM, Lifeisgood said:

I bought a young goldfish labeled as an Oranda from a box store.  It was smaller than yours but had a very thin wen as well.  I think when we get them from stores that don’t take pains to get well bred goldfish we end up with hybrids.  But your fish is beautiful anyway and my little “Dot” is now quite large but still has a thin wen.  Oh well, she still greets me eagerly and is fun to watch.

Thats why I thought it was odd, because he was from a true lfs. My latgest fantail Buddy was from a petco though.. hardy as hell 😂 I am hoping Rus grows more, and all three are incredibly active and always happy to see me.