75g Deadspot, Powerhead?

AdamScott

Hi all! My 75g has been up and running for a few months now however i'm starting to notice a deadspot in front of my driftwood as seen circled in the picture attached. I'm thinking of purchasing the Co-Op's Powerhead to provide more water flow to the area as my HOB filter is located on the right side behind the guppy grass wall and not providing the appropriate amount of water circulation. I'm primarily trying to breed shrimp so I steered away from adding extra flow in the past but there has been algae buildup in that area so I'm hoping this could relieve that. 

My question is where would be the best placement to add a powerhead in my tank to have consistent water movement/flow throughout?

75g tank.jpg

The HOB input is on the lower right back and the output is on the upper right back facing forward. You have a primary circulation on the right side across the top (back to front), then down the front and across the bottom (front to back). I see two primary ways to get more circulation on the left.

1. You could use a water bottle diffuser to route the HOB output along the back towards the left. There are lots of posts all over the internet of doing this.

2. You could put a sponge filter with a power head in the left rear, with the output along the back wall towards the right.

On 3/29/2022 at 10:30 AM, Widgets said:

The HOB input is on the lower right back and the output is on the upper right back facing forward. You have a primary circulation on the right side across the top (back to front), then down the front and across the bottom (front to back). I see two primary ways to get more circulation on the left.

1. You could use a water bottle diffuser to route the HOB output along the back towards the left. There are lots of posts all over the internet of doing this.

2. You could put a sponge filter with a power head in the left rear, with the output along the back wall towards the right.

I'm going to try option number 2 by placing a power head at the left rear facing towards to the right side. I was thinking of picking up the Co-Op's powerhead and placing a medium pre-filter sponge on the intake to act as a filter for the left side as well. Hopefully that does the trick, thanks!

On 3/29/2022 at 10:49 AM, lefty o said:

its always been my experience that the wider tanks, 55/75/90/120's etc do best with some sort of filtration on each side of the tank. a powerhead might do the trick to minimize the dead spots.

I was thinking of simply using a sponge filter on the left side with an airstone and while I would get surface agitation, I think i'm going to go with a powerhead and a sponge filter on the intake to satisfy both filtering the tank and sufficient water flow.