Dosing meds questions

Choogie

I got my meds I ordered Saturday in today from ACO. Man that was fast for regular shipping! No sick fish at this time but ordered enough to treat both tanks and to keep some on hand for quarantine tank and emergencies. There’s no telling how much ferts and meds I’ve tossed from my aquariums years ago. Some may have been ok but 12+ years old was just too big a chance to take imo. I got Maracyn, Ick-x, Paracleanse, and Expel-P. I plan on dosing them next Saturday after my weekly 50% wc. At least the first 3 that is. But I have some questions to make sure I don’t mess up. I’ve read up on here and the store site first. 

Malawi tank-72g

Ammonia-0

Nitite-0

Nitrate- 20 or less due to ferts, close to 0 if not using them

Ph-8.1

Kh- 17
Gh- 13

Temp-81-82

SA Blackwater tank-29g

Same as above but 

Gh-3

Temp-78

This one is just getting started. Cycled but need to lower ph. Hopefully tannins from wood will help but not yet. 
Tap water 

No ammonia, nitrites or nitrates  

Ph-8.1

Kh-240ppm

Gh- 35.8ppm

1-It says clean all filters first. I’ve never cleaned all at the same time. I run at least 2 on any tank so I can alternate and let one catch up on bb before cleaning the other. I’d think meds would kill anything bad in filters as well as in the tank but maybe it’s necessary? Just hate to risk crashing cycle. 

2- After 1 week and the 25% wc, is it ok to resume my 50% change for the 2 week rest before the second dosing? Or just check water and only change minimum according to results? I could probably easily go 2 weeks or longer with same water. I just do it to provide fresh water. I’m asking because package says no water changes but ACO says a little different procedure.

3- It says I can dose all 3 at the same time but is it easier on fish (?) to do separately as it’s just a precaution because these were all put in together after tank was cycled. Just don’t want to quarantine any new ones later and then put ‘clean’ fish into a tank that may have something already in it. Kinda defeats the quarantine procedure imho. 

4- Package says Ph 6.5-7.6.  Is my 8.1 a problem?

5- Package says it can kill bb? Should I abandon doing tanks and just try and catch any sick fish if and when, and treat in quarantine tank? I was trying to be proactive but after reading packaging now I’m leery! If I lose some from cleaning filters and meds get the rest, it sounds bad!

That’s all I can think of for now. Thanks to all of you for all the help you’ve given and any now and in the future. 

These are just my observations, as you know there are several ways of doing things in this hobby. 

#1 I personally wouldn't clean filters unless they needed it anyway- that's me. I might move one of the filters into a non medicated tank to put in when certain meds kill the bb you can insta-cycle- but if you already have back-ups that may not be needed. 

#2 I'd say yes. 

#3 I don't personally medicate unless new fish show signs of illness HOWEVER if you're doing the med trio and there are no signs of illness doing all three according to the Co-op should be fine- BUT they also have a method for WEAK fish which does one med at at time- you could do either one. It's on the ACO website. 

#4, it can be. Since you're doing fewer water changes while medicating or no water changes, higher pH makes any potential ammonia MORE poisonous to fish. I'm not sure that's why it cautions you- but I have found emailing the company that makes a medication to clarify (or going to their FAQ pages sometimes already has the info) and they very often are quite responsive and will tell you why- sometimes modifications to using the medication will be suggested for your pH level or they'll refer you to another medication. 

#5 I addressed this in #1. I'd move a filter so you can put that one and maybe another back up into the tank after doing the water change at the end of medicating to jump start the cycle and keep an eye on it. I'd also have some Polyfilter or carbon on hand to get the meds out faster- but that's just me. 

On 3/28/2022 at 5:24 PM, Choogie said:

1-It says clean all filters first. I’ve never cleaned all at the same time. I run at least 2 on any tank so I can alternate and let one catch up on bb before cleaning the other. I’d think meds would kill anything bad in filters as well as in the tank but maybe it’s necessary? Just hate to risk crashing cycle. 

cleaning the meds and tanks is to try to remove any parasites, if you see anything, and is to lower nitrite and nitrates before the viscosity of the water changes. It will stress the fish a bit. Lowering these up front..... helps.  It's not about the bacteria, hopefully there is enough and there is some strong enough to stick around.

2- After 1 week and the 25% wc, is it ok to resume my 50% change for the 2 week rest before the second dosing? Or just check water and only change minimum according to results? I could probably easily go 2 weeks or longer with same water. I just do it to provide fresh water. I’m asking because package says no water changes but ACO says a little different procedure.

Recommendation is usually not to go above 10-15% WC because of what it does to the water parameters. A lot of people do higher volume changes regularly, myself included. The 25% WC is a bit "higher than normal" if you're following the 15% rule. I would stick to 25% WC when doing meds or treating illness like that.

3- It says I can dose all 3 at the same time but is it easier on fish (?) to do separately as it’s just a precaution because these were all put in together after tank was cycled. Just don’t want to quarantine any new ones later and then put ‘clean’ fish into a tank that may have something already in it. Kinda defeats the quarantine procedure imho. 

3 at once is a "shorter timespan" for the fish to be stressed. Dosing them one at a time, you would treat them once with one, then give them recovery time. Then move onto the next one.  Over time, it's a lot of stress on the fish.  There's advantages and disadvantages to either approach, but for the sake of a storefront, dosing 3 at once is mandatory.

5- Package says it can kill bb? Should I abandon doing tanks and just try and catch any sick fish if and when, and treat in quarantine tank? I was trying to be proactive but after reading packaging now I’m leery!

Every day people use their only tank to treat the tank itself for some sort of an issue. It happens. Your tank *should be* fine and it's not something I've ever stressed or had any issues with. Especially running 2 filters. If you're having any concern, after you finish meds, you get a bottle of bacteria as a precaution.