Snail Safety Question

FaintingGoats

Hello!

I just got my first Mystery Snail and some Neterite Snails.  I was wondering if anyone has any troubles with the snails getting out of the tank?  I have a lid but because of the external filter canister's intake and outake tubes, it can't be fully on the tank.  So there is a 2-3 inch gap where the snails could escape.

I have put some burlap mesh that I had laying around the house over it for now but was wondering if anyone had any more permanent ideas 🙂

Thank you in advance!

Snails are awesome, and yes sadly they will go for walkabouts in the people desert and die from them unless you're lucky enough to find them before that happens. I haven't seen a perfect solution yet. But I have done exactly as you did by taping mesh material. You could also buy some plastic needle point sheets from a craft store (some are heavier than others) these are easily cut to size, and could be super glued to the lid and extra space left for around the hob/rim

I would have tried that needlepoint plastic sheet trick if I still used an HOB for my snail tanks but I don't any longer. It was just something I thought of after the fact because I got the mesh for another project

The sheets are usually only a couple of dollars and come in a bunch of colors

• Like 4

@AndreaW even when you have that sometimes there is still a gap in front of the HOB which I think is what they are referring to right now. I could be wrong. 🙃 Could also be a stock hood light, which when you pop out the cut out for it leaves a crazy big gap. 

Sometimes people just cut the strip in half or cut a piece off to fit the HOB, as you probably know it's not easy to cut smaller spaces like you have and once you've done it there's no going back! 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

When I had nerites I had plastic gutter guard (which is an amazing multi-purpose material for aquariums btw) that was cut to fit over the gaps that they could fit through. It cost me about $5 for a roll and it's awesome for covering gaps.

• Like 2

@AndreaW - I think your solution would work for me!  I already have one of those but just haven't installed it.  I would just need to cut it to fit around my air stone tubes, heater cord and external filter canister intake and outtake pipes.....I think it could work!

Thank you everyone for the multitude of ideas!  Long live the snails!!

• Like 1