Vampire Pleco Feeding Advice

BigFishB-raad

Good afternoon all,

I'm looking for some expertise assistance in searching for "staple" carnivore food recommendation(s) for my newest fish room addition, a 4.5"  Vampire Pleco.  He'll eventually settle in at around 9 or 10" but for now, I have him in a 75 gal. Rainbow community aquarium that he seems quite happy in.  Unlike the typical Bristlenose species, that I've been more accustomed too, Vampire Plecos consume 80% of their diet as carnivores.  So, he'll eat snails, clams and blood and black worms but often ends up competing with other tank mates at feeding time.  I want to be sure he gets enough food and was hopeful that someone with experience reading this might have a carnivore sinking pellet recommendation that they have had success with for this specie of Pleco?

Your assistance would be appreciated. 

IMG_0466.jpeg

I don't have them but i looked them up on planetcatfish - they aren't picky eaters and need a mix of protein and veggie - I would just give them a combination of catfish pellets and shrimp pellets as well as a piece of zuc once or twice a week. As to how much zuc depends how much he eats. I tend to use omega-one and hirakai pellets. I want to stress that i do not own this specific pleco but i do have several species that lean towards protein diets and none have been picky. The one thing is that if your is mostly nocturnal you will have to add the pellets when the lights go off or other fishes might out compete with him - some of mine are strictly nocturnal and others are happy to come out during feeding time.

Also yours have a different colour so not sure if it is actually an L007.

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1

Interesting - i found a thread that suggest L240 is the same as L007 but is found further north; but there is also L241 which is frequently referred as vampire pleco. 241 has less dense dots and L240 has a larger mouth - i guess so it can eat more 😉

• Haha 1