Java Fern Windelov - black leaves?

Hello!

I have had a Windelov in my aquarium for about a months now. I am wondering why parts of the broader leaves tend to turn black. The leaves never actually die and usually come back although one leaf is currently almost all black which I have not seen happen before. 

Also I am told that the little “Jazz Hands” parts can be pulled off and used to grow new plants. 

Any info would be very helpful!

Edited by Waricks

Many Java ferns are grown above water. They cannot affectively work underwater. They grow to accommodate being submerged and often parts die back in the transition. I do not pull off the  “jazz hands” the new plant will grow from the leaves while they are attached then I pluck the baby plant off once it has leaves. I have purchased tube ferns at big box that ended up being only leaves (no rhizome) wrapped with sewing string. Those do not do well for me. They have never grown babies and died but it may just be my error I’m not an expert. 

I just turned on fish lights and wanted to provide pictures so you could see what I was describing.  

I purchased a tube Java a few months ago and unwrapped the string it was bound with to split it between tanks. 

The plant piece with a small rhizome piece the leaves are attached to D760182B-F897-4597-8B56-84D5D88D65F0.jpeg.6e32127ec51e1ffed1bbf76584435741.jpeg

THE RHIZOME628AE66A-5B36-4587-B285-2DF86182F24C.jpeg.7437fd47be8f561e5e8318b648b9c03c.jpeg

THE BABIESD2369493-A8C6-40AA-839A-46474797962E.jpeg.6233071106ac3035cb959d15f82526d2.jpeg

I hope that helps. Cutting the rhizome (hard stem with roots the leaves grow from) with 2-3 leaves still attached is my best way to propagate into several plants and also seems to stimulate them to produce more baby plants for me. 

That is exactly how mine look for a few months when they were grown above water. All these little guys with fuzzy roots are baby plants. Gently pluck them and secure them where you want them. I just drop mine in with a plant weight cut to size. 

AF1B2C10-0C22-445B-BBDB-F0D26CA80FDC.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2

On 3/28/2022 at 11:12 AM, Guppysnail said:

That is exactly how mine look for a few months when they were grown above water. All these little guys with fuzzy roots are baby plants. Gently pluck them and secure them where you want them. I just drop mine in with a plant weight cut to size. 

AF1B2C10-0C22-445B-BBDB-F0D26CA80FDC.jpeg

Thanks again!! Now I feel like it is doing good. I think I will take your advice and pull off those babies!

• Love 1

You can also get a piece of cholla wood and poke the rhizomes and roots down into the holes so they catch inside the piece.  They will grow roots into the wood and you often don’t need any glue.  This only works when the rhizome is still young and flexible.

• Like 1