ghost shrimp for white slime?

KittenFishMom

Someone recommended snails and/or shrimp for the white slime in my tank. 

My husband can pick up ghost shrimp and snails at a PetSmart. Would it be safe to add them to my tank with a male betta and 2 corys and some guppy fry that are growing out. I don't have a place to quarantine them, and I need them to work on the slime ASAP. Is this inviting disaster?

If you think it is a good idea, how many shrimp should I get? How about snails? is one safer than the other as far as avoiding introducing more problems to the tank?

I am staying with my mom, so my husband would have to take them to the cottage and put them in the tank.

Just a word of warning on shrimp and bettas - it can work, but often doesn't. I have what seemed to be a very mellow male plakat, shares the tank with tiny rasboras so I thought he do okay with shrimp too. He killed 2/3rds of the order of 10 I added within a few minutes. Didn't want to eat them, just was in a rage they were there - you could see bites out of the backs of several. I felt terrible and rescued the remaining 4. Only one survived the whole experience.

I do have two nerite snails in there as well, and he is fine with them. They did a great job on the film my wood got early on and it's my cleanest tank in large part because of the good job they do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My husband picked up ghost shrimp and snails for me and brought them to Mom's house. The dr "on call" called back and sent Mom to ER via ambulance for fluid. My husband went to ER. They only allow one support person in ER due to COVID, so I took snails and shrimp to cottage and added them and hurried back to get the house in order before Mom returns from ER.  Waiting for info from ER. I'll find out how the shrimp did next time I get to the cottage.

Thanks for all the help and support on this. This forum is wonderful !