Katherine's Planted Tank Journal

On 10/12/2022 at 9:12 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Piece of root tab? The capsules start green but turn white fairly quickly.

That is probably it! I put some in a few days ago and my substrate got suddenly much dirtier than usual overnight last night. I bet one worked it's way up.

Edited by Katherine

• 3 months later...

Oh man guys, it's been a while. My tank has been on a bit of a roller coaster since I last posted. At the end of dealing with the illness previously mentioned I've got 8-10 danios left (they're hard to count!). My hand is still injured, though significantly better than it was in Oct. I ended up losing some of the plants that I had purchased just before the illness issues and almost losing some others.

I also had a period of about a month where I could only physically get to the tank enough to throw some food in. I couldn't really see it and certainly couldn't manage water changes during that time. My KH and PH bottomed out and I had a cycle issue at some point, and I lost a few of my mystery snails, but I've got it back under control now. My water was very green at one point and is still just a tinge green and cloudy, but continuing to improve.

Here's a current photo of the tank. I'm planning a rescape at some point soon, which I'll be starting another thread for advice on, since aquascaping is not my strong suit. I've got a few new plants in the tank in pots at the moment and I'm planning to get a few more before I redo it.

wholetank.jpg.a3b7d84b3f4859d6d521091c48b4cf4b.jpg

My PSO is one plant that's coming back from death's door as I get my water back under control and with the addition of the new coop light instead of the light that came with the tank. It's a little tangled up in my new crypt that fell over into it at the moment, and it's small, so a little hard to see, but definite visible growth since I got the new light last Monday.

bronzewendtti.jpg.b9c7d6af0e7e98dd7741b637acf561db.jpg

My brother and his fiancée gave me this piece of decor for Christmas which I'd like to work in there somehow.

hobbithome1.jpg.eee48627666497883dee547942ed9923.jpg

When I was out looking for plants on Monday I also found these 2 tiny horned nerites. They're about the size of a pea. The shop sold me both for the price of one zebra nerite as they didn't have a price for them and the manager thought they were likely hitchhikers and not something they'd actually ordered. I was thrilled! They seemed very happy to land on the top of Algae Mountain and we had visible trails where they'd been eating within 20 minutes.

NewSnails.jpg.624e2539dd48b700bad17792e9d9c645.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 2:30 PM, Katherine said:

Oh man guys, it's been a while. My tank has been on a bit of a roller coaster since I last posted. At the end of dealing with the illness previously mentioned I've got 8-10 danios left (they're hard to count!). My hand is still injured, though significantly better than it was in Oct. I ended up losing some of the plants that I had purchased just before the illness issues and almost losing some others.

I also had a period of about a month where I could only physically get to the tank enough to throw some food in. I couldn't really see it and certainly couldn't manage water changes during that time. My KH and PH bottomed out and I had a cycle issue at some point, and I lost a few of my mystery snails, but I've got it back under control now. My water was very green at one point and is still just a tinge green and cloudy, but continuing to improve.

Here's a current photo of the tank. I'm planning a rescape at some point soon, which I'll be starting another thread for advice on, since aquascaping is not my strong suit. I've got a few new plants in the tank in pots at the moment and I'm planning to get a few more before I redo it.

wholetank.jpg.a3b7d84b3f4859d6d521091c48b4cf4b.jpg

My PSO is one plant that's coming back from death's door as I get my water back under control and with the addition of the new coop light instead of the light that came with the tank. It's a little tangled up in my new crypt that fell over into it at the moment, and it's small, so a little hard to see, but definite visible growth since I got the new light last Monday.

bronzewendtti.jpg.b9c7d6af0e7e98dd7741b637acf561db.jpg

My brother and his fiancée gave me this piece of decor for Christmas which I'd like to work in there somehow.

hobbithome1.jpg.eee48627666497883dee547942ed9923.jpg

When I was out looking for plants on Monday I also found these 2 tiny horned nerites. They're about the size of a pea. The shop sold me both for the price of one zebra nerite as they didn't have a price for them and the manager thought they were likely hitchhikers and not something they'd actually ordered. I was thrilled! They seemed very happy to land on the top of Algae Mountain and we had visible trails where they'd been eating within 20 minutes.

NewSnails.jpg.624e2539dd48b700bad17792e9d9c645.jpg

Good to hear from you @Katherine!  I've been wondering how you have been doing.  I'm sorry you haven't been well, and I hope you have been able to at least able to get some good rest and recovery.  I still see a lot of cute snails in your photos 😍. Looking forward to following along with the rescape. It's always fun - maybe try a plant you've never had before, because why not?

Heads up, you have an airline not connected to anything there. Make sure there's a check valve on that guy so it doesn't siphon water out.  😉 

• Like 2

On 1/18/2023 at 2:00 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Heads up, you have an airline not connected to anything there. Make sure there's a check valve on that guy so it doesn't siphon water out.  😉 

I had that in there for extra air during the meds and haven't gotten around to removing it yet. It's still connected to my gang valve, but the air's turned off to that valve. And there is a check valve on the other side of the gang valve. Thank you for looking out!

On 1/18/2023 at 2:00 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

maybe try a plant you've never had before, because why not?

100% that's my goal. I might buy some more PSO if I can find it locally, but otherwise only new things. I snagged a Rose Sword, 2 pots of Crypt Wendtii Green, and 1 pot of Crypt Wendtii Bronze. I'm hoping to find some java fern, and then just open to whatever catches my eye.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2023 at 7:32 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Cory showed a hack when he was demonstrating the easy planter. You split the rock wool in half and put a root tab in there, then close it back up and put the plant back in its plastic pot.

Yes! I did that on this one and the bronze crypt. The green ones have so many roots coming out the bottom I'm going to have to cut them out of the pot, so they didn't get one.

• Like 1

I haven't been able to get a good shot of the rescape yet, but there's a cloudy one in the other thread. I'll see if I can get better once the lights are on today.

I wanted to share these pictures of my mystery snails clearly enjoying the new setup. I've never seen them sleep in the plants like this before, even though they're mostly sleeping in plants that aren't new.

20230123_094836.jpg.47b94d231ce05a93223d4a123f3c3916.jpg

20230123_094813.jpg.aff11cbe5ba706635b5d67deb3915e8f.jpg

20230123_094802.jpg.eac4ad43e0a92fccc5c16ada0ccf48b9.jpg

20230123_094750.jpg.86e4df35e36f85e1770f8aceef22e133.jpg

• Like 1