Katherine's Planted Tank Journal

So, does anyone feel like talking me into or out of breeding zebra danios?

On the way home from one of our LFSs last weekend my husband and I were discussing how I've had a terrible time with zebra danios in the past, purchased from several different sources and wasn't planning to buy more. Not because I don't like them, but because I didn't feel it was worth the heavy losses. And he, who does not care about the fish at all, and was only at the LFS because it was on the same street as somewhere else we needed to be, suggested I try breeding them. And when I told him that would require setting up another tank he said he didn't care.

So now that's a thing I'm pondering. Any thoughts for me?

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 5:39 PM, Katherine said:

And he, who does not care about the fish at all, and was only at the LFS because it was on the same street as somewhere else we needed to be, suggested I try breeding them. And when I told him that would require setting up another tank he said he didn't care.

He’s definitely about to ask for a motorcycle 😆

• Haha 3

Maintenance day.

I've had the expected crypt melt since last week's planting. None of the plants have lost everything like my lucens did when they were new though, and most have a new leaf coming in. I put more root tabs around the crypts, just to be sure they've got enough.

I also cut a piece off my largest anubias and have it held onto another part of my cave with plant weights for the time being while I ponder the placement.

20230129_164841.jpg.2896d92413927a111c0ac879e4f3bf30.jpg

And I noticed I'm starting to get some algae on the glass and the top of my sponge uplift tubes, so I turned my light down a click.

Edited by Katherine
Spelling
  • Like 2

On 2/2/2023 at 2:48 PM, Katherine said:

The green/cloudiness is almost completely gone.

20230202_134709.jpg.53f0df98c6024afda46768db89ae28b4.jpg

Yep! The fine tuning of your light is working well. I did the same in the betta tank, now I worry the nerite doesn’t have enough food. I kind of put the catappa leaf vertical against the wall next to him yesterday and I did see that he attached to it. And I sprinkled some Repashy around him. I tried to get the powder to stick to the wall, but I don’t think it did. Anyway, hope he finds it. There is algae on the plants, but I’ve only ever seen him on glass and hardscape.

On 2/3/2023 at 6:47 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

The fine tuning of your light is working well.

I also dropped my fertilizer dose a bit.

The funny thing is it started while I still had the wimpy light that came with the tank, but my nutrients were way out of whack there for a while when I couldn't do maintenance. 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 7:26 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

How is your hand doing?

Much better than at the start, but still not quite healed. I still can't make a fist, but as long as I keep my finger wrapped and don't do anything foolish it's not a huge problem. Pinching type motions still aggravate it, but the first few months it hurt pretty much all the time.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 8:29 AM, Katherine said:

Much better than at the start, but still not quite healed. I still can't make a fist, but as long as I keep my finger wrapped and don't do anything foolish it's not a huge problem. Pinching type motions still aggravate it, but the first few months it hurt pretty much all the time.

I’m glad it’s going in the right direction. Hopefully just practicing the motion will retrain it. I had to do it between Christmas and New Years after my cat bit me deeply. The cats are very loving but one had dental and when he came back the other didn’t recognize him, he smelled and acted different because of the anesthesia and the meds. So I had to basically break up a cat fight and I got hurt. 5 minutes to stop bleeding then my hand became hot and swollen over the next two weeks and I couldn’t make a fist either. I put an ice pack on my hand for one hour, and never felt the cold of it, and then when I took the ice pack off my hand was still hot. I was doing exercises 30 reps several times per day to try to get my index finger to touch my palm again. I also was using KT tape on it because it holds the skin while allowing the tissue underneath to move more freely. It is back to normal now.

To do tank maintenance I just stuck the pond pump in the tank and let it pull water out. Then I reversed it and went from a bucket in the sink back out to the tank. Dechlorinator went right into the tank itself.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 2/3/2023 at 8:44 AM, Katherine said:

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea Ouch. I was bitten by a friend's cat in high school and it got infected, but I don't remember it being that bad.

I'm trying a few times to make a fist whenever it's not wrapped, and it's getting closer, but that's about the only thing that actively hurts still.

The whole thing was absurd. It’s like, you guys are best friends. Then one smells different and it’s like murdertown. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've lost all but one tall leaf of the crypt spiralis to melt,  but all of them have new leaves coming in. And the moss on the fake log, right in front of the sponge filter at this angle, is doing very well. 

20230212_153141.jpg.428249b5c5cde80a8c549b3f433279b8.jpg

I moved the PSO over behind the house. 

20230212_153153.jpg.4e32fb0b8c3629c0737f33293bcd6d84.jpg

The val is really taking off and the planted water sprite is doing well. The floating water sprite is dying. I see very little roots on them. I think the snails are eating the roots. 

I also stuck the loose piece of anubias in an opening of the cave thing. So far that seems to be holding it better than where I had tried to wedge it before. 

20230212_153150.jpg.51f593a5ae13e8134cd765f2309acc05.jpg

Edited by Katherine
Typos
  • Like 3

On 2/15/2023 at 9:59 PM, Katherine said:

20230215_205629.jpg.f20bcd1597a65ddd292c03f39f717e8d.jpg

All but one time that I've seen this nerite it's been on my 'rock formation. Sticking to the easy food.

My horned nerites make it all over the tank.

Baby snail on the ramshorn? What type of snail is the baby, or is that a plant hitchhiker? Looks like Nibbles who came in on plants.

517EC138-1257-4379-84EF-D8EEF82804DB.jpeg

D4604524-47D1-4D68-8560-434DCA5D0B94.jpeg

Well maybe not. Different whorl position. Nibbles is still a curiosity.