Back fishing

Ok guys and dolls 

I've been away from this hobby for several years and sold or given away all my toys, but today a friend gave me what I'm guessing is a 40ish gallon hectagon tank for my granddaughters and the fire is alive again. I can do fish well but never been able to do plants well for long periods. I'm looking for recommendations on good starter plants and how to make them grow. I'd like eventually to create a nice eco system and maybe teach my girls a little about nature and life. I'm at work alot and need hearty plants that don't need alot of attention.any help would be appreciated, thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

To best help with plants that will do well for you some questions. 
-how deep is the tank-what type of light-water parameters gh/kh/ph- what temperature you intend to keep the tank. This of course depends on the fish approximate temps are fine low range 70 mid range 75-78 high 78-82 ish. 
Many plants can be easy. I run low tech tanks cheap lights minimum nutrients added and have fantastic success (usually). Selecting plants that will enjoy your set up with minimal effort is the best place to start but not all plants do good in all environments. Welcome back to the hobby. Depending on how long you have been gone toys have become extravagant.   Welcome to the forum. 

The tank is 22 inches deep, as for gh/kh and ph I could test it now but I just started the tank so I know the results would not be true. Temp is 73° f. Standard neon aquarium light for now.

I do have well water not city water

Edited by Papa
  • Like 1

The best starter advice for both plants and fish i ever recieved was 'know your water' and realizing that you were keeping water.  That water just so happened to be conducive to aquatic life. As for starter plants, if you are looking for something more interesting than java fern or anubis which grow increasingly slow; look at different varieties of Ludwigia. They grow pretty fast which will help with algea. And you can also trim to get specific growth. Best yet, just replant the trimmed stem and it'll grow new roots giving you another stem! 

On 3/27/2022 at 2:43 PM, Papa said:

The tank is 22 inches deep, as for gh/kh and ph I could test it now but I just started the tank so I know the results would not be true. Temp is 73° f. Standard neon aquarium light for now.

I do have well water not city water

If you are using tap then you need to only test your tap. It’s not an exact thing. Plants are somewhat adaptable. It just to know a ball bark of what types may love your water and what will not like your water. 

On 3/27/2022 at 3:00 PM, Guppysnail said:

If you are using tap then you need to only test your tap. It’s not an exact thing. Plants are somewhat adaptable. It just to know a ball bark of what types may love your water and what will not like your water. 

Tap,aerated tap water after 24h and tank water. Your water will go through changes after sitting for awhile and you may, knowingly or unknowingly have buffering agents in your tank. 

Edited by JoeQ