Request - "Co-op" flat style spirulina tabs

nabokovfan87

I will start by saying, I totally understand the logic behind them being removed for sale on the website. I am talking of their design, their use in my tank specifically, and I write this to request some confirmation from others here as well as pass that group feedback to the minds at be. I genuinely need an alternative option and I am not sure where to turn for the specific use case I need.

The hikari tablets, small or large size my fish do eat them. They don't swarm them, but the texture is very different than the sera brand. I am sure there is half a dozen reasons why, but I generally see this *style* of algae wafer from Xtreme, omega one, cobalt, etc.

The Sera version seemed to be a finer powder, a darker green, and it was something where the smaller community fish, barbs, shrimp, plecos even, otos, etc. all had a much easier time eating the food. In general, I don't attack them to the glass, but having the ability to do so is generally valuable. The flatter sides and more robust wafer shape/texture is something that easily breaks down after 10 minutes and smaller fish can pick at it. Prior to the 10-15 minute mark it holds it shape and it definitely is something that the plecos, otos, and barbs love to swarm over.

I wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences, if something in shape / size of the sera brand is even possible for someone else to bring to the US?

I have seen tablets designed for human consumption of similar shape and size, but in terms of aquarium food brands I don't see it.

I'd love to see the co-op have their own version, but I don't know if there is enough demand beyond my own experience.

• Like 1

I’m might have missed some context here. Did CoOp stop selling a certain algae wafer?

Ive examined the Omega One and Hikari side by side. They’re actually fairly well protein rich. The Sera crisp, if I recall correctly (it’s been awhile) was really Spirulina-heavy.

• 4 weeks later...

If you can find the big buckets of the Sera tabs, go for them. I used them in the past with great success and I agree fish seem to like them more than the Xtreme wafers even though their ingredients are still good. I've not been able to find the Sera stuff as easily, and when I do it's generally something I have to import which turned me off with the additional shipping and tarrifs for importing. Occasionally some vendors sell the buckets in the US, I wish the Co-Op would carry them. They are phenomenal product for adults and babies since the wafers crumble to a power with a litteral pinch of them.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 1:35 PM, Tihshho said:

If you can find the big buckets of the Sera tabs, go for them. I used them in the past with great success and I agree fish seem to like them more than the Xtreme wafers even though their ingredients are still good. I've not been able to find the Sera stuff as easily, and when I do it's generally something I have to import which turned me off with the additional shipping and tarrifs for importing. Occasionally some vendors sell the buckets in the US, I wish the Co-Op would carry them. They are phenomenal product for adults and babies since the wafers crumble to a power with a litteral pinch of them.

I like the 100 ct. Just the right size for my use.  I definitely would feed enough to go through a bucket if I had a rack though.

Needless to say they enjoy them very much still.  I don't scrape the algae at all on this tank so I apologize for the bad front glass. It's the temp tank for them. QT use only.

The pandas are now having a late night disco party and laying eggs all over. I really need to get this other tank up and running tomorrow. 😕

20220422_141807.JPG

• 2 months later...

I have noticed.... as reported a while ago that there is a very distinct difference between the old and new.

As Cory mentioned a few times on livestreams the binder used, whatever that change was is causing the new versions to deteriorate quickly.  I do see a pile of spirulina on the substrate and for this use it's quite fine.  That being said, I think I am just going to convert to using repashy more or try to find an actual "spirulina tab" that works a bit better.

For those interested, I've spent about the last 2-3 hours trying to find the actual stream where the formula differences were shown off. There is some comments in the thread as well so I thought it was critical to share that link here.

It's a weird issue and it's the type of thing where a shape of a food changes how my fish interact with that food pretty significantly.  I'll have to see what I can find!