Angelfish in need of dither fish?

Linda4fish

I had an unlikely pair of Angels fish lay eggs in my community tank.

Since that time they were diligent in protecting their eggs and very disruptive to the community tank.

I moved them to their own 20 gallon tall tank, and now a week later they continue to be “spaced out “they don’t move around much they are very jumpy and skittish.

The tank has stabilized at this point and the water tests great and  are now eating ona regular basis but still seem strange? If it was a human i would say they have PTSD…

I’m wondering if they would benefit from some dither fish?

I wouldn’t imagine dither fish would make to much of a difference in a 20 gallon. I would say something to try would be some black neon tetras (at least six cause they are a schooling fish) that might help. I think a bigger environment with dither fish is what they need. I am assuming they are pretty descent size because they are breeding. 

• Like 1

20 is way too small for adult angelfishes - they are probably having problems moving around in the tank and to be honest there is not room for a reasonable size dither (which is needed so the angels can't eat them). I moved an adult male angel from my 120 to 29 for a few weeks to give him a chance to heal up and he was miserable in such cramp space (the 29 had some other fishes or 'dithers'). I had to move him back to the 120 to get him to perk up.

• Like 1