Help With Corydoras Infection

Zeithelden

Hi guys! 
I’m hoping someone can help me figure out what is afflicting my corys, and how to treat it. For about two weeks now they’ve had a white sort of patchiness on their sides. One has a patch on his head. A couple have had some fins start to deteriorate. Things have stabilized, it seems, but they don’t seem to be getting better. 

When I first notice the infection, I started with the basics, testing water and I did a couple water changes. The tests showed the water had become a little too acidic, so I added a little salt, and put crushed coral into my filter and did a few more water tests after a day or so. Then, I started a basic round of pimafix and melafix, because I didn’t know what it was. I thought it was a fungal infection at first, but, after a decent amount of research, I still couldn’t determine exactly what it was. I did a few additional water changes and continued rounds of Pima and Mela, which has appeared to stabilize things, like I said. At the beginning of week two, I started adding some antibiotics (amoxicillin), to see if that would resolve it. It hasn’t seemed to have done much so far - today is day three of five. 

I should also say that it is not affecting all of the corys in the tank. There are about 12 total, but only about four have any kind of issue. Unfortunately they’re in my 90, which is very densely planted and I haven’t been able to pull them out to treat in a smaller tank. To do so, I think I’d have to pull up basically everything, which I will do if necessary. 

Can anyone help identify and treat this? 

Thanks! 

676D9B01-9A3B-4A36-9767-41A20A94F52E.jpeg

06082DE7-7D15-4E21-8C80-EB3670B00D99.jpeg

2B7D3561-043F-4B9F-BABF-08AA4086CDB3.jpeg

4B6C05BF-7B56-4476-8BF8-2638F70B34DA.jpeg

F00DDE7C-0604-4A3D-9846-0EC9915F2D97.jpeg

Just a quick update on these guys, in case anyone is interested! The corys seem to be healing after the amoxicillin treatment. I don't see any of the spots on them anymore, and the one whose tail had been decaying has grown quite a bit back. They've been more shy than typical these past couple days, so I haven't been able to get any good pictures of them, but I will once they're back to normal. I'm still not completely sure what was going on, but I think it's relatively safe to say it was a bacterial infection of some kind, since the amoxicillin seemingly worked. Although, it could have been a slow repair process after raising the gh and ph. Hopefully it doesn't return now that the treatment has stopped. I'll update with some photos when I can!

Thanks!

• Like 1

Im having the same problem with my corys I got about 10 ago. Although I think they're at the every beginning stages of it. I just added erythromycin today to see if that will help. They have already gone though one round of general cure when I picked them up from the store.  My first thought was columnaris but Im not sure yet. I don't have experience with these symptoms yet. 

How are your corys doing now?

Also would you guess I have the same thing going on? (check pic)

Thanks! 

corycat.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Pat! 

Hard to say if it’s the same thing or not! What are your water parameters? Do any have any fins deteriorating? Or any other symptoms? 

Mine seemed like it was on them, not making its way beneath their skin. What I did was basically a small treatment of salt, added crushed coral, and did several water changes. Medication wise, I used melafix and pimafix for 1 week, then did five treatments with an antibiotic (amoxicillin). By the time the antibiotic was finished, it had cleared up more or less. Now, I don’t see anything remaining, aside from tail fins still regrowing. 

Hopefully they recover from whatever it is! I think I determined mine wasn’t columnaris, but it’s kinda hard to identify exactly what is wrong without some of the later term issues popping up. Columnaris also has varieties to it, as well, which only makes it harder. 

Good luck! Let me know if there’s anything else I can do to help 🙂

Thanks for reply,

I have not seen any problems with any fins thus far.

Water parameters from using tetra test strips are:

Nitrate - 20ppm

Nitrite - 0

GH - 100-150 ppm 

KH - 40-80ppm

PH - 7.0

Temp - 79-82

I made a post about mine also. We will see if I get any tips on there. I will let you know if the Maracyn makes a difference or not. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...