Fry bringing on setup.

Rodney G

I set this up with a sponge filter attached under the air uplift tube. It is 7.5 gallons total. 2 gallons in the top portion.

Has anyone tried a setup like this? How were your results? 

Any thoughts or tips for improving the design?

20220313_194412.jpg

20220313_194406.jpg

20220313_194354.jpg

• Like 1

I like the overall look. What kind of fry are going to go in it? How long will the fry be in there? The only concern I have: How are you going to clean the bottom portion out? Will the top section hold water on it's own? Then if a baby goes in there would you even know they were down there?

Does the water circulate between the top and bottom? I see what looks like a second riser. If the water isn't circulating then the sponge filter isn't going to home any beneficial bacteria for the waste made in the top part.

Sorry for the delayed reply.

The white tube is attached to a nano sponge filter bringing water up from the bottom. The gold tube is the overflow tube. It has a piece of fine mesh wrapped around and sticking above the water line to prevent fry from going in, hopefully. The top does hold water independently. Probably a airline down the overflow for water changes.

Its kind of inspired by Master Breeder Dean and his tray system.

As for the fry, I'll start with angels cuz they are already breeding. I don't know how long they will be there. First time trying it.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 8:52 PM, Rodney G said:

I set this up with a sponge filter attached under the air uplift tube. It is 7.5 gallons total. 2 gallons in the top portion.

Has anyone tried a setup like this? How were your results? 

Any thoughts or tips for improving the design?

20220313_194412.jpg

20220313_194406.jpg

20220313_194354.jpg

I use something similar 

Update:

I made a lid to cover about 90% of the top ( my plexiglass was a little too narrow). I also added a 5 watt heater to the bottom section. The water temp was 72.5 in my little fish room which runs about 78.

I'll let that run a couple of days and see where I'm at.

20220315_210439.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

So I have been out of town for the last week. 

The tank with the new lid & 5w. heater installed runs between 79 and 81 deg. I took out the frogbit. It just died as expected. I added a small bit of pothos, just to see what happens.

My angels laid again today so here is attempt 1.

20220327_162915.jpg

• Love 1

Ok so first go was not very successful. 

After 2 days most of the eggs were fungus pretty bad. I saved about 10.

4 of those became wigglers. 

This morning I watched the 3 survivors become free swimmers! Ok great!

After about an hour 2 of those were hung up in the mesh on the overflow tube and dead. So I pulled the mesh off to "save the last one". Went to petsmart and found a piece of foam to cover the overflow. The little sucker went down the tube into the bottom! So pulled it out and put it in an external breeder box on another tank and now its gone too! Soo... 

I made a new sponge to cover the overflow tube. Seems to work well.

My angels should lay again Tuesday. That will be attempt #2.20220403_192524.jpg.f5eccf386934532b734beeaa9c460a14.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so attempt #2 much better success!

My angels laid again Wednesday before last. I have about 25 swimmers now! The water change situation is working well.  I ordered a pipette with my last order and kept most of the white eggs removed. 

I think the low survival rate is due to 2 things.

#1 They like to lay on my hob intake tube so maybe the eggs aren't being milked well because of the flow.

#2 My GH is around 300. So maybe the eggs can't respirate properly? I'll try like 50% distilled water to start out with next go.

20220413_164024.jpg.55b611596ffba49b7c09f95fcdd64b97.jpg

Edited by Rodney G