Superglue

Zac

Hey all,

I recently super glued some anubias to a piece of driftwood. It’s my first time with this kind of plant and using superglue. From my knowledge, the glue will eventually dissolve and the roots will take over. How long does this process generally take? And does the superglue suffocate the roots and prevent the rhizome from sprouting new leaves? I only superglued the base of the plant along with the roots. The plant was in okay condition when I bought it from my local pet store. It seems to have brown spots in the  center of the leaves that are slowly melting away so that’s why I’m inquiring.

On 3/13/2022 at 1:41 PM, Jennifer V said:

The water cures the super glue and makes it safe for your aquarium so I don't think it suffocates the roots or affects the rhizome. Is the rhizome mushy at all or discolored? Are the leaves detaching at the base where they connect with the rhizome? 

It seems to be a brownish color. I just got the plant on Friday. It may be because it wasn’t kept in the best conditions before but I can’t say for sure

E95423D3-2CCA-4E3D-8043-A5778908CE42.jpeg

• Sad 1

It looks like the beginnings of anubias rot to me. With the discoloration and if the rhizome is at all squishy and the leaves easily detach when pulled then that's what it is. There is no cure for it and it's uncertain what causes it so you didn't do anything wrong, but it will take out the plant. I think some people have luck just removing the affected bit but that hasn't been my experience. If it is anubias rot, I would contact the place where you bought it and let them know. They may either give you a refund or replace the plant for you. Just make sure you take photos before you get rid of the plant. 

• Like 3

Hi @Zac

No, the superglue does not dissolve over time.  However the plant roots and foliage will camouflage the drops holding the rhizome in place.  If I have 'drips' or 'runs' in areas I don't want I pry them off the hardscape slipping my fingernail or tweezers between the hardscape and glue.  I use the gel-type superglue because it doesn't run as badly as regular superglue.  I like Loctite because the closure system seals it so it can stay good for a couple of months or more.  The arrow is pointing to the superglue spot..  -Roy 

648730317_2012-09-1720GallonJavaFernsattachedtohardscape004AdjSnSmArrow.jpg.d5acb5f208fc48a7d881ef236bbbd650.jpg

• Like 3

If you get completely crazy with the glue, it can damage the rhizome, but that’s uncommon unless you’re pouring glue all over the place.  If you’re just using small dots of gel, the plant should be fine and will eventually grow over the glue and hide it, but it doesn’t dissolve.

• Like 1