Are there any tweezers that're good for inserting root tabs?

I can't find anything that'll help plant root tabs. They're so slippery. When're the Aquarium CoOp Easy Root Tab Placer tweezers gonna come out? We need something with, like, rounded paddles at the  end. Or, like, a straw with a thingy that'd push out the capsule.

What do you guys use? I mean, like, besides your hands...

These are aquavitro brand, i do not know if Amazon sells the exact same item. But 15 bucks for 4 scaping tools seams too cheap for good heavy duty aquarium tweezers.  I think i paid 15 for the one in 2012 in a LFS. You also might want to chech the reptile isle at pet$mart where they are sold as feeding tongs

Edited by JoeQ

On 3/11/2022 at 8:18 AM, Corbidorbidoodle said:

I can't find anything that'll help plant root tabs. They're so slippery. When're the Aquarium CoOp Easy Root Tab Placer tweezers gonna come out? We need something with, like, rounded paddles at the  end. Or, like, a straw with a thingy that'd push out the capsule.

What do you guys use? I mean, like, besides your hands...

HI @Corbidorbidoodle

I use DIY root tabs that come in size "00" gel caps which I dose in four tanks every five (5) weeks and I feel your pain.  I did a lot of trial and error and this is what I am using currently.  Please accept my apology in advance for posting this but:
1472339189_RootTabApplicator.jpg.7d35894bdbc86ec8615f41a02233b21e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I love these things and used them exclusively till i got the coops bent tweezers last year. And I love the coop but I have to admit, I was a bit (small bit) disappointed. These are way beefier than the coops which are better for more fragile items.

On 3/11/2022 at 1:49 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

HI @Corbidorbidoodle

I use DIY root tabs that come in size "00" gel caps which I dose in four tanks every five (5) weeks and I feel your pain.  I did a lot of trial and error and this is what I am using currently.  Please accept my apology in advance for posting this but:
1472339189_RootTabApplicator.jpg.7d35894bdbc86ec8615f41a02233b21e.jpg

Excuse me for laughing but.....  LMFAO! THIS IS GREAT! 

• Like 1

Dean Tweeddale

On 3/11/2022 at 10:51 AM, JoeQ said:

I love these things and used them exclusively till i got the coops bent tweezers last year. And I love the coop but I have to admit, I was a bit (small bit) disappointed. These are way beefier than the coops which are better for more fragile items.

Excuse me for laughing but.....  LMFAO! THIS IS GREAT! 

Yeah @JoeQ, I figured I get some reactions and responses on that one.  The bottom line is that they work great except I have to reach into the tank and with my 45 gallon tall I am up to my elbow.  However I am able to push the tabs all the way to the bottom glass through 2"+ inches of Safe-t-sorb or HTH Pool Filter Sand so they get the job done.  One of our GSAS members and club Master Breeders, Dean Tweeddale, has one that is 2X longer, and made from stainless steel but I could not find it online. -Roy 

On 3/11/2022 at 2:02 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Dean Tweeddale

Yeah @JoeQ, I figured I get some reactions and responses on that one.  The bottom line is that they work great except I have to reach into the tank and with my 45 gallon tall I am up to my elbow.  However I am able to push the tabs all the way to the bottom glass through 2"+ inches of Safe-t-sorb or HTH Pool Filter Sand so they get the job done.  One of our GSAS members and club Master Breeders, Dean Tweeddale, has one that is 2X longer, and made from stainless steel but I could not find it online. -Roy 

They say a good joke is a perfect storm of combining two objects logically that causes the brain to short circuit. Well... Well done my friend!!! 👏👏👏😂😂😂

• Like 1

There are pet pillers that should do a decent job of inserting the tabs deep into substrate.  I haven’t tried them but this is my favorite style for inserting pills deep into pets as needed.  I also have long (15”) straight and angled tweezers that I got as a set from smiley store - second pic.  Good price and I’ve had no issues with rust, but I’m a freak about drying them well after each use.  They are plenty strong to do the job.  I do tend to just shove them in with my fingers, but I have used the tongs, too.

A741B675-4C98-432F-BC54-22AD0704FC60.jpeg

C29640BE-D019-4D76-9E40-0B4B10A5E27C.png

On 3/11/2022 at 6:58 PM, Odd Duck said:

There are pet pillers that should do a decent job of inserting the tabs deep into substrate.  I haven’t tried them but this is my favorite style for inserting pills deep into pets as needed.  I also have long (15”) straight and angled tweezers that I got as a set from smiley store - second pic.  Good price and I’ve had no issues with rust, but I’m a freak about drying them well after each use.  They are plenty strong to do the job.  I do tend to just shove them in with my fingers, but I have used the tongs, too.

A741B675-4C98-432F-BC54-22AD0704FC60.jpeg

Hi @Odd Duck  I tried the pet Pill Gun, unfortunately with dosing about 20 size "00" gel caps every 5 weeks it only lasted about 3 months and then the rubber tip split and it wouldn't hold the gel caps as I tried to insert them into the substrate.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 9:22 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @Odd Duck  I tried the pet Pill Gun, unfortunately with dosing about 20 size "00" gel caps every 5 weeks it only lasted about 3 months and then the rubber tip split and it wouldn't hold the gel caps as I tried to insert them into the substrate.

Good to know.  There are shorter, all plastic ones, but I’m not certain if the tip of that style will open wide enough to hold most root tabs.

• Like 1