"Fixing" a cracked lid

Anon

I managed to crack this glass lid. I've "repaired" similar cracks in windows with strong masking tape on either side. Has anybody tried this in an aquarium setting? Or do you have any other ideas for a temporary fix?

I plan to replace all of these hinged glass lids with polycarbonate, but I don't have time and need a temporary solution.

IMG_20220310_092526442.jpg

I cracked a window in the house (one of the two panes) and put a bunch of clear packing tape over all of it so that it doesn't fall apart (all windows are being replaced this spring).  You could honestly do that just fine and it would probably be "OK" indefinitely.  I just recently tried to trim like a half inch off of a lid... how a 29 gallon lid doesn't fit a 37 gallon with the same dimensions (except taller) is beyond me.  But it broke when I tried to snap the cut part off.  😄  So now I'm at least $50 into this lid ($30 for one and $20 for another) and I think I'm going to take it to the local glass shop and have them cut it for me.

Just make sure no little pieces of glass can get out and present something for your fish to eat.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 1:24 PM, jwcarlson said:

I cracked a window in the house (one of the two panes) and put a bunch of clear packing tape over all of it so that it doesn't fall apart (all windows are being replaced this spring).  You could honestly do that just fine and it would probably be "OK" indefinitely.  I just recently tried to trim like a half inch off of a lid... how a 29 gallon lid doesn't fit a 37 gallon with the same dimensions (except taller) is beyond me.  But it broke when I tried to snap the cut part off.  😄  So now I'm at least $50 into this lid ($30 for one and $20 for another) and I think I'm going to take it to the local glass shop and have them cut it for me.

Just make sure no little pieces of glass can get out and present something for your fish to eat.

Off topic but I have had decent results using a belt sander with water to shave down lids that almost fit. Takes a while and you have to take breaks to wet the glass to prevent it from getting too hot. But does work for controlled removal.

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2022 at 1:24 PM, jwcarlson said:

how a 29 gallon lid doesn't fit a 37 gallon with the same dimensions (except taller) is beyond me. 

I have a 37g Top Fin sold by Petsmart and had to trim (at a glass shop for $5) the 30" Top Fin glass lid because it was about 1/4" too wide.

I just picked up a 20g long Aqueon sold by Petco and the 30" Aqueon glass lid fit just right.

I just measured and the Aqueon tank is about 1/4" wider than the Top Fin tank, and the bezel is narrower such that the Top Fin lid is too short. So, apparently the Top Fin glass lid will not fit any tank.

• Like 1